Asustek Computer Inc (華碩), the world’s fifth-largest PC brand, could miss its target of shipping 12 million tablet devices this year because of a “sudden drop in tablet industry demand” worldwide, UBS Securities Pte Ltd said yesterday.
“We believe Asustek will have to revise down its full-year shipment target,” Arthur Hsieh (謝宗文), chief electronics hardware analyst at UBS’ Taipei branch, said in a client note.
Hsieh said the brokerage had cut its tablet shipment forecast for Asustek by 24 percent for this year, meaning the company might only ship about 9.1 million tablets this year.
In the second quarter, Asustek shipped 2.3 million tablets, up 13.1 percent year-on-year, with a 4.6 percent share of the global market, the International Data Corp (IDC) said in a report on July 24.
Global tablet shipments grew 11 percent annually in the second quarter to 49.3 million units, but declined 1.5 percent from the first quarter because of the rise in popularity among consumers of large-screen smartphones, and longer-than-anticipated ownership cycles, IDC said.
UBS also expects Asustek to register a mild recovery in notebook computer shipment in the current quarter and lead its peers in launching a new 2-in-1 hybrid notebook model later this quarter or early next quarter.
Hsieh said the new Transformer Book T300 Chi using the Intel Core M processor could help drive the company’s overall notebook sales momentum next quarter, but UBS still cut its notebook computer shipment forecast for Asustek to 21 million units from 22 million units, the note said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his