Argentina cannot turn its back on negotiations with holdout creditors after defaulting on its sovereign debt, a US judge instructed on Friday, just as the country’s failure to service a June interest payment was declared a “credit event.”
US District Judge Thomas Griesa in New York slammed the decision by Latin America’s third-biggest economy to defy his order that it pay in full the holdout investors suing it instead of defaulting on its US$29 billion debt.
As Griesa was speaking, a 15-member committee facilitated by the International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) voted unanimously to call the missed coupon payment a “credit event.” The move triggers a payout process for holders of insurance on Argentine debt, which analysts estimate could amount to roughly US$1 billion.
“Nothing that has happened this week has removed the necessity of working out a settlement,” Griesa said. He chided Argentina for making public statements he characterized as misleading. “The debts weren’t extinguished. There’s no bankruptcy, no insolvency proceedings... The debts are still there.”
The veteran judge has been at the center of Argentina’s drawn-out fight against the New York hedge funds suing it for full payment on bonds they bought cheaply following the country’s record 2002 default on its US$100 billion debt.
Argentine bond prices slightly extended earlier losses after Griesa’s comments.
The Buenos Aires Stock Exchange Merval Index pared earlier losses to trade down just 0.6 percent from Thursday’s close at 8,150.91. The Argentine peso traded slightly weaker on the black market at 12.7 pesos per US dollar.
Griesa told both sides to continue working with mediator Daniel Pollack, a lawyer one senior Argentine government minister had dubbed “incompetent” a day earlier.
Argentina’s lead lawyer told the judge the Buenos Aires government had no confidence in Pollack after he released a statement after negotiations broke down saying the case had become “highly politicized.”
“The Republic of Argentina believes ... it was harmful and prejudiced to the republic and the impact on the market,” lawyer Jonathan Blackman said in an exchange that prompted Griesa to tell the hearing that everyone should “cool down” about ideas of mistrust.
The Argentine government says it has not defaulted because it made a required interest payment to a bank intermediary on one of its bonds. However, Griesa blocked that deposit in June, saying it violated his ruling that Argentina settle its dispute with holdout investors first.
As a result, holders of exchanged Argentine bonds did not receive the interest coupon payment by the July 30 deadline.
On Friday, the ISDA-facilitated Determinations Committee declared that a “failure to pay” event had happened. It will now hold an auction to settle outstanding credit default swap (CDS) transactions.
CDS reaction was muted as the market waited for ISDA’s auction process to start and investment accounts were hesitant to take positions.
“The amounts are not very large. We estimate the amount of CDS outstanding for Argentina at about US$1 billion; it’s not something that’s going to systemically affect financial markets,” said Jorge Mariscal, emerging markets chief investment officer at UBS Wealth Management.
Before Friday’s hearing, the Argentine government had said it expected nothing favorable to come from Griesa. It had previously called the federal judge an “agent” of the New York hedge funds.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his