The Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) yesterday said the government has proposed a three-year plan for sealing up a reactor at the controversial Fourth Nuclear Power Plant until a national referendum is held to decide whether fuel rods should be inserted into the power plant’s reactor.
Taiwan Power Co (Taipower, 台電) has budgeted an initial cost of NT$1.2 billion (US$40 million) to NT$1.3 billion next year for sealing the No. 1 reactor of the power plant in New Taipei City’s Gongliao District (貢寮), the ministry said.
“The ministry expects a national referendum on the power plant issue to be held in two to three years,” local cable TV network UBN quoted Vice Minister of Economic Affairs Woody Duh (杜紫軍) as saying. “If no such referendum is held in the next three years, then the ministry would then decide how to proceed to the next stage.”
On Wednesday, the ministry announced at a press conference that the power plant had passed a review of the 126 systems in the No. 1 reactor.
The checks were carried out by a special safety inspection team from April last year to July 25 this year, the ministry said.
At the press conference, Taipower chairman Hwang Jung-chiou (黃重球) said the total cost of sealing the No. 1 reactor from next year through 2017 would be less than NT$2 billion.
The ministry plans to deliver the plan to seal the reactor and a report on the safety checks to the Atomic Energy Council by the end of this month and the end of next month respectively.
The nuclear power plant is nearly completed, but the fuel rods have not been installed due to widespread public opposition to its use.
The ministry said all safety inspections would need to be conducted again if the public in the future decides to turn on the No. 1 reactor at the plant.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort