President Chain Store Corp (統一超商) yesterday opened its 5,000th 7-Eleven convenience store, in Greater Kaohsiung, a year ahead of plans, as convenience stores have increasingly become an integral part of life for Taiwanese.
Since it opened the first 7-Eleven store in Taiwan in 1980, President Chain has cornered a competitive market with a diversified operating model and a nearly 50 percent market share.
With more than 10,000 convenience stores in operation in a nation of 23 million people, sustaining profitability has become a major challenge for operators. However, the market leader yesterday said the market is not yet saturated.
Photo: Chen Yu-cheng, Taipei Times
“Lifestyles in Taiwan are in transition, and customer spending habits and preferences are changing, which means the retail sector is entering a new era of development,” the Chinese-language Apple Daily’s online news site yesterday quoted President Chain chairman Alex Lo (羅智先) as saying.
With this change in mind, Lo said the number of stores was not important, but the products and services President Chain could offer its customers are.
Lo was interviewed as the company launched its newest store in Greater Kaohsiung’s Neimen District (內門) yesterday, a day after the company reported its cumulative sales for the first half of the year had hit a record level.
Sales in the first six months totaled NT$101.44 billion (US$3.38 billion), an increase of 3.59 percent from the same period last year, the company said in an e-mailed statement.
The company, which reported NT$2.97 billion in net profit in the first quarter with earnings per share of NT$2.86, has not yet released its second-quarter profit report.
On Wednesday, domestic rival Taiwan FamilyMart Co (全家便利商店) reported sales of NT$4.91 billion last month, the highest figures for June in the company’s history, with accumulated sales in the first half rising 5 percent year-on-year to NT$27.31 billion.
President Chain attributed the strong earnings to rising sales of beverages, as well as increasing e-commerce and online shopping revenues, according to the statement.
Domestic subsidiaries such as cosmetics retailer Cosmed (康是美) and parcel delivery unit President Transnet Corp (統一速達), and overseas units including Philippine 7-Eleven and Shanghai Starbucks also reported higher sales, President Chain said.
The company said sales growth momentum should continue this month, driven by various marketing activities designed to take advantage of purchases made during the summer vacation and the FIFA World Cup.
Lo said that the company has opened stores in all the major cities and townships of the nation and would continue to open more stores.
“Sometimes, I can’t help wondering how many convenience stores Taiwan can accommodate,” Lo was quoted as saying. “Basically, the convenience store business in Taiwan is unique in the world. It is just so convenient.”
By adopting larger stores and offering more value-added services, such as online shopping and offering tickets for public transportation, the nation’s major convenience store chains have developed into the model of a one-stop shop.
In the first five months of the year, they posted total sales of NT$117.8 billion, up 5.4 percent year-on-year and accounting for 26.71 percent of the nation’s total retail sales, data from the Ministry of Economic Affairs showed last month.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his