Argentina asked a US judge on Monday to issue a stay of his ruling against the country in its case against “holdout” creditors, as it sought to avoid a new default that would further punish an economy already slipping into recession.
The move is the latest twist in a 12-year-old battle with investors who refused to take part in bond restructurings after Argentina failed to pay about US$100 billion of debt in 2002.
Without a stay on a ruling by US District Judge Thomas Griesa, Argentina would be legally barred from making a coupon payment on Monday next week on its restructured bonds unless it pays US$1.33 billion to holdouts seeking full payment of the debt they hold.
“We consider it essential that Judge Griesa issue a stay so that the Republic of Argentina can continue paying the holders of restructured bonds,” Argentine Economy Minister Axel Kicillof told reporters in Buenos Aires.
Lawyers for the Argentine ministry asked Griesa for the stay to “allow the republic to engage in a dialogue with the plaintiffs in a reasonable time frame for these kinds of negotiations.”
If the government does not make the payment on Monday next week, it has a 30-day grace period before falling into technical default.
A framework for talks between the holdouts and Argentina started taking shape when Griesa appointed New York financial trial lawyer Daniel Pollack as a special master to assist in the negotiations.
Pollack told reporters he plans on “moving as quickly as possible given the time constraints.”
The government also announced on Monday that the economy contracted in the first quarter after shrinking in the last three months of last year. The shrinkage was expected and local financial asset prices rose on Monday thanks to Argentine President Cristina Fernandez’s reversal of her policy of not negotiating with holdouts.
She has long portrayed them as “vultures” picking over the bones of the 2002 debt crisis, which thrust millions of middle-class Argentines into poverty.
The two-term leader has dialed back the rhetoric in her speeches lately, but her government splashed advertisements in leading US newspapers over the weekend accusing the holdouts of pushing the country to the brink of financial catastrophe.
More than 90 percent of bondholders have accepted the restructurings, which left them with less than one-third of the original value of their bonds.
Over-the-counter local bonds closed up 5.5 percent on Monday. The Merval stock index rose 8.7 percent and the peso strengthened 4.62 percent to 11.90 per US dollar in black market trade. The official exchange rate was nearly unchanged at 8.1325 to the dollar.
Restructured Argentine bonds, already higher on speculation a deal will be reached, added to gains after a flurry of headlines from Buenos Aires and New York.
The 2033 Discount Bonds traded up 9.99 points in price to bid 88.22, driving the yield down to 9.82 percent, according to Thomson Reuters data.
The Argentine Par bonds maturing in 2038 rose 2.01 points in price to bid 48.33, pushing the yield down to 9.08 percent.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his