Greece’s four top banks are expected to need an extra capital injection of about 5 billion euros (US$6.9 billion), local media said on Sunday, as the country’s international lenders prepared for a new audit of Greek finances.
The Bank of Greece is currently evaluating the restructuring plans of the country’s four main lenders — National Bank, Alpha Bank, Piraeus Bank and Eurobank — before releasing stress test results that will show whether they can absorb possible future shocks from bad loans.
The Ethnos newspaper reported that the central bank’s preliminary estimates put the banks’ capital needs at about 5 billion euros, while Realnews said it would be about 4.5 euros to 4.8 billion euros.
The central bank said official results would be published by early next month.
Officials from the EU, the European Central Bank (ECB) and IMF were yesterday to begin their latest audit of Greek finances to decide whether a new tranche of aid will be released.
The so-called troika of lenders — the EU, IMF and the ECB —will also meet with Greek Finance Minister Yannis Stournaras.
Last month, Bank of Greece Governor George Provopoulos warned of rising bad loans, saying the “late repayment of loans could lead to a reduction of banks’ capital and the need for [new] capital to pay high commissions.”
The Greek banking sector underwent radical restructuring and consolidation last year under the terms of the country’s bailout deal with the EU, IMF and the ECB.
The four top banks were recapitalized as part of the terms included in the latest EU-IMF bailout deal.
A period of consolidation of the banking sector followed, with the big four rapidly acquiring smaller rivals and the subsidiaries of foreign banks who had pulled out.
A sum of 50 billion euros from the rescue loans was earmarked for the recapitalization of banks following the heavy losses they suffered by taking part in a write-down of privately-held Greek government bonds in 2012.
Meanwhile, Greece’s main opposition leader is certain a left-wing government will be in power by early next year and its top priority will be to negotiate a lightening of the country’s “unsustainable debt,” according to an interview published in a Sunday newspaper.
The present coalition government of conservatives and socialists could collapse this year if the Radical Left Coalition wins the May European election by a big margin, party leader Alexis Tsipras told To Vima.
Tsipras, the European Left’s candidate for the presidency of the European Commission, pledges to keep Greece in the eurozone and says he does not seek special treatment for Greece.
However, he added that if Greece’s eurozone partners do not agree on further cutting the country’s debt, he would stop servicing it.
The debt cutting negotiations will be the subject of an emergency EU summit that Tsipras will demand if his party forms a government.
Asked what would be his trump card in the negotiations, Tsipras said: “Europe knows Greece is the powerful energy partner of the year 2020,” referring to prospects for significant gas and oil finds in the Eastern Mediterranean, still at a stage of early exploration.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his