Smartphone shipments from local manufacturers plunged to 4.3 million units last quarter as local brands failed to boost demand of their new flagship phones during the year-end shopping season, a Taipei-based market researcher said.
The figure hit the lowest level in two years, according to a report released by the Market Intelligence and Consulting Institute (MIC, 資策會) on Thursday.
Smartphone shipments last quarter sank 41.2 percent from the 10.43 million units during the same period in 2012. On a quarterly basis, shipments edged 1.3 percent lower from 4.38 million units, MIC’s report showed.
Market information advisory firm GfK said the decline in 2013 was brought on by fewer people seeking to swap out their phones along with a high comparison base of sales in 2012.
To broaden its product portfolio, HTC Corp (宏達電) in October last year launched its first phablet, the HTC One max.
NO FIRE TO SNAPDRAGON
However, the high-end 5.9 inch smartphone model, featuring Qualcomm Inc’s Snapdragon 600 mobile processor did not stimulate strong market demand in the end, MIC said.
“Without outstanding specs, the HTC One Max did not receive strong market response, and the company’s growth momentum was dragged as a result,” the market researcher said in the report.
MIC said the Snapdragon 600 mobile processor was the cause behind disappointing sales of the HTC One max, as the smartphone is less competitive than Samsung Electronics Co’s Galaxy Note 3, Sony Corp’s Xperia Z1 and LG Electronics Inc’s G2 smartphones, which all sport more advanced Snapdragon 800 chipsets from Qualcomm.
Yet HTC’s flagship model, the new HTC One, launched in February last year, continued to play a key role in bolstering the company’s shipment last quarter, alongside with its mid-end HTC One Mini and Desire-series smartphone products, MIC said.
Smartphones supporting 4G LTE technology accounted for 31.4 percent of the total shipments from Taiwan in the fourth quarter of last year, MIC said.
4G TECHNOLOGY
Most Taiwanese smartphone makers shipped phones supporting the widely adopted, fourth-generation (4G) technology — referred to as frequency-division-duplexing long term evolution (FDD-LTE).
Local smartphone models included the new HTC One Max, the HTC One Mini and Acer Inc’s (宏碁) mid-end smartphone model, Liquid S2, MIC said.
HTC is one of a very few local firms starting to offer some of its HTC One Max models equipped with handset chips supporting China’s 4G LTE technology, time-division long-term evolution (TD-LTE) technology, which it supplies its Chinese client China Mobile Ltd (中國移動).
MIC expected local companies would expand their 4G LTE portions to 40 percent in the current quarter, helped by an increase in orders from China’s three biggest telecom operators: China Mobile, China Unicom Ltd (中國聯通) and China Telecom Corp Ltd (中國電信).
Additional reporting by CNA
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his