Argentina scrapped some of its currency controls a day after devaluing the Argentine peso as policymakers sought to stem a financial crisis and restore investor confidence by reversing measures that drove foreign reserves to a seven-year low.
Bonds fell, and the cost to insure Argentina’s debt against default soared to a three-month high, as traders bet the move would backfire and lead to further dollar outflows.
The Argentine peso dropped 1.5 percent to 8.0014 per US dollar at 3:34pm on Friday in Buenos Aires, extending its plunge last week to 15 percent, the worst sell-off since a devaluation that followed the country’s record sovereign default in 2001.
The currency market overhaul is the latest and boldest measure tried by Argentine President Cristina Fernandez as she seeks to win back investors, regain access to international debt markets, shore up a faltering economy and curb inflation that soared to 28 percent last year. The increase to 23.8 percent in the annual cost to protect the nation’s debt against default makes it the most expensive in the world.
The easing of controls is an attempt to stem panic among Argentines, said Siobhan Morden, head of Latin America fixed income strategy at Jefferies Group LLC.
“They are hoping it creates less panicky demand for [US] dollars,” she said.
Morden said the country needs to implement additional measures such as curbing money supply growth to make the foreign-exchange policy changes effective.
“Markets will give them a day or two,” she said.
“But if there’s no follow-up, the prices trade lower again,” she added.
The Argentine peso’s plunge formed part of an emerging-market currency rout last week that was triggered in part by a deepening of the political and financial crises in Turkey and Ukraine.
The lira sank 4.1 percent during the week while Russia’s ruble dropped 2.9 percent and South Africa’s rand weakened beyond 11 per US dollar for the first time since 2008.
In Brazil, the real slumped 2.6 percent to a five-month low on concern that the Argentine peso devaluation will erode demand for the country’s goods
Additionally, Argentina’s central bank increased interest rates on notes to be auctioned on Tuesday. The monetary authority will offer a fixed rate of 25.89 percent on Argentine peso-denominated notes due in 98 days, a 6 percentage point increase from the rate offered last week, it said in an e-mailed statement. The bank is also offering US dollar-denominated notes to yield between 2.5 percent and 4 percent to financial entities holding foreign-currency deposits.
Argentina began devaluing its peso on Wednesday, allowing it to fall the most since 2002, in a bid to stem a financial crisis and a drain in foreign reserves amid annual inflation running at an estimated at 28.4 percent.
“It’s a step in the right direction, although the amount is not enough,” wrote Ezequiel Aguirre, a strategist at Bank of America Corp, in an e-mailed response to questions.
“Real interest rates are still negative,” he added.
Policymakers should allow the so-called badlar rate, which banks pay for 30-day deposits of more than 1 million Argentine pesos to double to 40 percent while the peso slides to 9 per US dollar in order to stabilize demand for pesos, Aguirre said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his