Bloomberg Businessweek magazine’s cover showed a range of archeological objects: a flint arrowhead, a skull and a BlackBerry handset. The label? “Relic.”
On Friday, BlackBerry’s interim chief executive John Chen (程守宗) outlined a new strategy for the Canadian company in which he acknowledged that making smartphones was a thing of the past. Instead, the company will focus on intangible services such as offering cybersecurity for businesses and not making physical handsets.
Making smartphones has not been a good business for anyone who is not Apple and Samsung recently, as they have squeezed the profits out of the rest of the industry. BlackBerry has been crushed.
On Friday it announced a loss of US$4.4 billion on revenues of just US$1.2 billion; only a tax rebate of US$624 million saved its net figures from being worse.
Those three months to the end of last month marked a turning point: For the first time, BlackBerry now gets more money — 53 percent of revenues — from selling “services” such as sending data including e-mail and Web pages, than it does from selling handsets, which generated 40 percent. Software made up the other 7 percent.
However, that has come as the company’s revenues have shrunk to levels smaller than at any time since May 2007, and the number of smartphones shipped, 1.9 million, is the smallest since December 2006. BlackBerry, whose founders laughed at the iPhone’s lack of a keyboard, is out of the smartphone race. In future, Hon Hai (鴻海), also known as Foxconn (富士康) in China and which makes the iPhone, will co-design and manufacture BlackBerrys too, and hold the stock. BlackBerry will effectively become a reseller of its own smartphones.
“The smartphone business is brutal,” says Kevin Restivo, global smartphone analyst at the research company IDC. “It’s one where the big players — Samsung, Apple, and a few Chinese companies — are going to have success, and the others are scratching for crumbs.”
Societe Generale analyst Andy Perkins told reporters: “At some point it becomes uneconomic to make handsets in such small quantities.”
Chen is a turnaround artist. He was brought in to the software company Sybase, where he executed a successful reorganization. Since taking over 45 days ago (following the ejection by the board of former chief executive Thorsten Heins) he has overseen a number of departures of existing senior executives and hired some former colleagues. The obvious conclusion is that he is reshaping BlackBerry as a services and software company.
Unlike other struggling smartphone makers, BlackBerry can fall back on tens of millions of customers in large businesses, who rely on the security of its products. Chan said that 80 percent of users were business customers. That could be anywhere up to 50 million users worldwide, offering a substantial base for rebuilding any corporation, even the struggling BlackBerry.
However, the data also confirmed that BB10, the operating system launched in January by Heins, has been a flop. Since March, BlackBerry’s customers have bought a total of around 17 million phones, but only 5.6 million have been BB10 devices.
Consumers have been turned off because the BB10 functions differently from the old BB7 model, while businesses have backed away because BB10 devices cannot be hooked up to the older BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) systems that so many big customers use.
BlackBerry-using businesses have taken one of two paths: either sourcing old BB7 handsets to keep their existing users happy, or abandoning BlackBerry altogether.
Chen has an answer to both. For consumers, BlackBerry will try to somehow make money from the millions of people who have downloaded the BBM messaging software and installed it on iPhones and Android smartphones.
“Revenues might come from a per-user per-month model, or rolling out advertising,” he said on Friday. “We’re a long way from knowing how to do it.”
For businesses, he will offer “mobile device management” software that will be able to control not just BlackBerrys, but also iPhones and Android phones.
However, there are plenty of rivals there, and it’s not a big business — worth only about US$560 million this year globally for all vendors, and growing at 12 percent annually, according to ABI Research.
Even if a reshaped BlackBerry captures more than half of that, it would still look tiny compared to what it was.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his