Taiwanese chip designer MediaTek Inc (聯發科), which supplies chips mostly to Chinese phone makers, might benefit from a recent anti-monopoly probe in China into its rival, Qualcomm Inc, according to a foreign brokerage analyst.
Qualcomm, the world’s largest maker of chips for smartphones, said on Monday last week that China’s National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) had opened an investigation into the company related to China’s anti-monopoly law.
The NDRC has advised that the substance of the investigation is confidential, Qualcomm said in a statement, adding that the company “is not aware of any charge by the NDRC” that it has violated the law.
The investigation is believed to be driven by some smartphone makers that have filed complaints with the Chinese government seeking to lower the licensing fees they must pay to chip suppliers, according to a study by Andrew Lu (陸行之), an Asia-Pacific semiconductor analyst at British bank Barclays PLC.
NO NEWS SOON
“We do not expect an announcement on the outcome of the investigation to be released any time soon,” Lu wrote in a report released on Friday. “However, if the outcome is favorable to the industry overall, we believe there could be some benefit for MediaTek’s smartphone IC customers.”
Chinese smartphone makers are currently paying from 3 percent to 6 percent of their phones’ free-on-board shipping prices as licensing fees, which rise if the companies are selling higher-end smartphones using premium components such as octa-core processors or 5-inch ultra-high resolution displays, Lu said.
The analyst estimated that smartphone vendors in China will need to pay nearly US$2.4 billion in combined licensing fees this year and roughly US$3 billion next year.
If Chinese phone makers no longer need to worry about rising licensing fees, they will be able to introduce smartphones with richer features by adopting MediaTek’s octa-core application processors, better screens, higher-resolution digital signal controllers, fingerprint sensors and additional memory, Lu said.
OCTA-CORE UNVEILED
MediaTek, which controls a large share of China’s low-cost and mid-range smartphone market, unveiled the world’s first “true octa-core” mobile processor in China on Nov. 20 to woo the high-end smartphone and tablet markets.
The system-on-a-chip is expected to roll out in new mobile devices running the Android 4.3 “Jelly Bean” operating system by the end of this year and is slated to be installed in devices running the latest Android 4.4 “Kit-Kat” software early next year.
The Hsinchu-based chip designer said it expects its consolidated sales for the fourth quarter to decline by up to 5 percent from the third quarter to range between NT$37 billion and NT$39 billion (US$1.25 billion and US$1.31 billion) after taking the slow season effect into account.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his