German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble said on Saturday that there were no longer any risks of contagion in the eurozone, and Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras stressed his country did not need a further bailout.
Schaeuble said Greece’s achievements in the last one-and-a-half years, which included better-than-expected growth and progress in reducing its deficit, merited respect. He also cited the decline in the difference between yields on German and Greek bonds.
He said government crises and coalition negotiations no longer posed contagion risks for the single currency bloc as a whole, without specifying which country or countries he was referring to.
“The euro is stable, financial markets are no longer concerned about the future of the eurozone and there are no risks of contagion anymore,” he said at a conference organized by German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung in Berlin.
Speaking later at the event, Greece’s Samaras reiterated that his country did not need a further bailout and instead simply needed to fulfill the terms of its existing program.
Athens has said it will emerge from a six-year recession next year and has more than doubled its forecast for the budget surplus before interest payments for this year.
International lenders are in the middle of their latest review of Greece’s performance on its reform targets. Posting a budget surplus before interest payments would open the way for Greece to ask for debt relief.
“I think that this is enough. We don’t need something else — we don’t need another program — we just have to stick by this program,” Samaras said.
After more than two months of reviewing Greece’s economy, the lenders have still not agreed to release Greece’s next tranche of bailout funds as they disagree with Athens on the size of a fiscal gap for next year to 2015 and how this will be filled.
Officials from the “troika” of lenders — the European Commission, the European Central Bank and the IMF — are due to return to the country early next month.
“I believe that what we need at this point is to finish the job by the end of the year of getting, that is, the approval of the troika for the next tranche,” Samaras said.
He added that Greece did not need more time to reduce its debt.
“At this point I’m going very fast ... I do not need time to wait,” he said.
Athens faces bond payments of 1.85 billion euros (US$2.5 billion) in early January.
Greece said earlier this week it will post a primary budget surplus before interest payments, of 0.4 percent of GDP this year.
However, under the terms of its international bailout it must widen the surplus to 4.5 percent of GDP in 2016. Athens has said it will meet this target without taking further austerity measures, helped by an economic recovery and better tax collection.
However, the troika insists the country must make further cuts because it doubts the degree to which an economic rebound and a crack down on tax evasion can improve its finances.
IMF’s mission chief for Greece suggested on Saturday that there is room for compromise, since Athens and its lenders agreed that across-the-board measures which would hurt the country’s economy should be avoided.
“Further measures will be needed for 2014-2016 but they will be on a much smaller scale than in the past,” the IMF mission chief for Greece Poul Thomsen was quoted as saying in an interview with newspaper Kathimerini.
“There should be no across-the-board measures and that they should focus on areas of waste,” Thomsen said.
“Across-the-board” fiscal measures are generally understood to be fiscal measures that indiscriminately affect the entire population.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his