Microsoft Corp yesterday said it plans to collaborate with 3D printer makers, including Taiwan’s New Kinpo Group (新金寶集團), to explore 3D printing market with its Windows 8.1 mobile operating system.
“Given the 3D printing market has huge growth potential but remains underdeveloped, we think it is advantageous for Microsoft to enter this battlefield and hold a share as soon as possible,” Microsoft Taiwan Corp’s marketing and operations general manager Roan Kang (康容) said.
Kang said Microsoft’s embedded application installed on Windows 8.1 platform can read nearly every kind of document format, offers a wider selection of colors and processes printing works more quickly than existing software programs do.
Photo: CNA
“Microsoft may collaborate with the world’s top three 3D printer makers [3D Systems Corp, Stratasys Ltd and ExOne Co] to expand its share in the 3D printing market, while strengthening its foothold in the mobile device market,” Kang told reporters after an event to announce the Windows 8.1 launch in Taipei.
New Kinpo in August introduced its 3D printers, priced as low as at NT$15,000 (US$510.81), and vowed to ship 1 million units of its low-priced 3D models in three years.
Asked by reporters if the company will seek collaboration with New Kinpo, Kang said: “Microsoft of course will not miss any opportunity working with talent, including those from Taiwan.”
New Kinpo yesterday declined to answer if Microsoft has contacted the company about the collaboration. A company official said by telephone that New Kinpo would have to get more familiar with Windows 8.1 before carrying out any new business project.
Due to a lack of applications by developers, Microsoft’s Windows 8 operating system introduced last year failed to boost global PC shipments.
In a report released on Aug. 29, the International Data Corp revised downward its forecast for global PC shipments this year to a 9.7 percent decline, lower than its earlier estimates of a 7.8 percent and 1.3 percent contraction in May and March respectively.
“We know there are ample opportunities ahead, but we still need to speed up to catch them,” Microsoft Taiwan general manager Davis Tsai (蔡恩全) told reporters at the same event.
Tsai said Microsoft had made strong efforts to establish a sales force and redesign its new platform after receiving feedback from customers over the past 12 months.
Currently, the Windows app store has generated more than 120,000 applications for up to 3,000 different tablet, laptop or desktop models to access.
Asked whether Microsoft would continue selling its Windows RT operating system — a variant of the Windows 8 operating system designed for mobile devices equipped with ARM Holdings PLC’s chips and processors — Tsai said “Microsoft will continue its works for the Windows RT platform because ARM’s architecture remains
important to the company.”
In addition to the upgrade for the Windows 8 platform, Microsoft yesterday also provided a free version of its Office Outlook software for Windows RT operating system users to check their daily schedules on the go, Tsai said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his