Catcher Technology Co (可成科技), which makes metal casings for Apple Inc’s MacBook Air notebook and iPad mini tablet, is likely to receive new smartphone orders early next year, Barclays Capital Securities Taiwan Ltd said.
The new orders will be for Apple’s new iPhone 5S and Samsung Electronics Co’s premium Galaxy series during the first half of next year, Barclays analysts led by Dale Gai (蓋欣山) and Kirk Yang (楊應超) said in a note released on Thursday.
Catcher, which also supplies metal casings for HTC Corp’s (宏達電) smartphones, is likely to benefit from the growing trend of leading smartphone vendors adopting metal casings in their phones. So far, Samsung is the only top-five smartphone brand which is not using metal casing for its products.
Photo: Bloomberg
However, that could change. South Korea’s Electronic Times newspaper reported on Aug. 30 that Samsung might build a production line at its plant in Gumi, about 260km southeast of Seoul, to produce handset casing from magnesium and aluminium by the end of this year. The world’s largest smartphone brand is likely to apply metal casing to its premium models set to be released early next year, according to a report on the paper’s Web site.
In their note, Barclays analysts said that based on their checks with supply chain companies,
Samsung is close to a final decision on the adoption of metal casings in at least one of its high-end smartphone models from the second quarter next year.
“Our checks suggest Catcher has been qualified as one of the major sources on the total metal casing smartphone volumes at 10 [million to] 30 million next year from Samsung,” the analysts wrote.
“The final order allocation is to be confirmed in early first quarter 2014, subject to price bids by approved vendors,” they added.
Pauline Chen (陳柏齡), an analyst at Credit Suisse AG’s Taipei securities branch, said in a note to her clients on Sept. 4 that if Samsung decides to use metal casing for its flagship model next year, it is very likely to outsource some orders to non-South Korean suppliers in order to meet the requirements for volume and quality.
Chen said Catcher could also gain more orders from Apple next year as the US company is likely to adopt a new strategy to add new electronics manufacturing service (EMS) providers, including Wistron Corp (緯創) and Inventec Corp (英業達), to reduce risks for new products.
“We believe that the news should be positive for independent metal casing suppliers such as Catcher or Ju Teng International Holdings Ltd (巨騰) as these ‘new’ EMS suppliers could prefer to team up with independent casing makers, over their competitors’ casing subsidiaries,” she wrote.
Moreover, Catcher’s increased iPhone orders could help it offset the order losses from HTC, according to Barclays analysts, who predicted a 20 percent annual sales decline for HTC next year from this year.
“The increasing likelihood that Catcher will see iPhone 5S order gains in the first half of 2014 will likely completely offset HTC-related risks,” they said.
Shares of Catcher closed at NT$155 on Wednesday. Barclays reiterated its “overweight” rating on the company’s shares, with a target price of NT$179.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his