The vague “connectivity issue” that NASDAQ said triggered the outage that paralyzed a large part of the US stock market on Thursday originated as a problem between NASDAQ and rival NYSE Arca, a source familiar with the matter said on Friday.
NASDAQ said the problem started shortly before midday on Thursday and quickly cascaded through its securities information processor, the system that receives all traffic on quotes and orders for stocks on the exchange, preventing it from disseminating quotes.
The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said brief outages between exchanges occur from time to time, but are short-lived.
Photo: EPA
In such instances, traders receive alerts from an exchange that essentially tell them to rout their order flow elsewhere for a period. Most of these episodes, which may occur several times a week, are resolved quickly.
NASDAQ did not respond to requests for additional information beyond a statement issued to traders on Friday. A spokesman for NYSE Euronext, the parent of the New York Stock Exchange and its NYSE Arca platform, denied Arca was involved.
NASDAQ chief executive Robert Greifeld declined to identify the source of the connectivity problem in television interviews on Friday.
The precise nature of the breakdown remains unclear.
However, the outage, first flagged at 11:48am, quickly spiraled out of control and soon left US$5.9 trillion of US equities — more than a third of the US stock market — idle for more than three hours. Shares of three of the five largest companies by market value, Apple Inc, Google Inc and Microsoft Corp, typically also among the most active in any session, were unavailable.
A number of market participants and others criticized NASDAQ’s lack of an early public statement on the outage. NASDAQ did not issue a formal press release until late on Thursday afternoon, well after the trading day had ended.
“As usual the communication could have been a little bit better. They could improve the communication and the amount of communication,” said Mark Turner, managing director and head of sales trading at Instinet in New York.
Greifeld said the exchange sent messages through its trader alert system and was involved in direct communication with clients.
NASDAQ’s first responsibility was to assure “fair and orderly markets,” Greifeld said on Friday on Fox Business Network, and exchange officials worked first to understand and fix the problem, and then to communicate with the securities industry to ensure a smooth restart.
“There was active communication going on,” Greifeld said.
“It has shown how horrible the crisis management side is. Communication was horrid. There is no backup. So we have to focus on the crisis management side,” Mohamed El-Erian, chief executive and co-chief investment officer of Pimco, said on Friday on CNBC.
In the end, even those who criticized NASDAQ for the pace of its communications, agreed that the reopening of trading went well.
Trading on Friday transpired with no apparent hiccups. Shares of NASDAQ itself, which fell 3.4 percent once trading resumed on Thursday, gained about 1.2 percent.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his