MediaTek Inc (聯發科), the nation’s largest handset chipmaker, yesterday posted its strongest quarterly net profit in nearly three years for the second quarter, thanks to higher-than-expected demand for chips used in smartphones and tablets in China and other emerging markets.
In the quarter ending June 30, the company’s net profit surged almost 80 percent to NT$6.72 billion (US$223 million), compared with NT$3.74 billion in the previous quarter. Last quarter’s profit was the highest since the third quarter of 2010, and represented 83 percent growth from NT$3.67 billion in the same period last year.
The firm’s growth momentum is set to extend into this quarter, supported by sales of new smartphone and tablet chips, including a quad-core tablet chip, before an expected seasonal decline next quarter, MediaTek said.
“In the third quarter [of this year], all the firm’s major products will sustain growth momentum,” company president Hsieh Ching-jiang (謝清江) told an investors’ conference.
Revenue is forecast to grow by between 5 percent and 13 percent to between NT$34.9 billion and NT$37.6 billion this quarter, compared with NT$33.28 billion last quarter, Hsieh forecast. Smartphone and tablet products accounted for about 55 percent of MediaTek’s total revenues last quarter.
The revenue growth guidance exceeds Daiwa Capital Markets analyst Eric Chen’s (陳慧明) 8 percent and Credit Suisse analyst Randy Abrams’ 8.4 percent forecasts.
“Again, MediaTek is our top pick,” Chen said in a research note yesterday. “MediaTek stands out among regional tech companies in terms of results and guidance due to strong smartphone IC shipments, upward gross margin and upward average selling prices.”
Shipments of smartphone chips are set to grow about 18 percent to as many as 65 million units this quarter from 55 million units last quarter, Hsieh said, while retaining his full-year shipment target of 200 million smartphone chips for this year.
MediaTek recently added South Korea’s LG Electronics Co to its existing 40 clients that include Chinese handset vendors Levono Group Ltd (聯想) and ZTE Corp (中興).
Following strong demand, MediaTek yesterday raised its shipment forecast for its new tablet chips to between 15 million and 20 million units this year from an original target of 10 million to 15 million units.
Gross margin is set to rise to 44.5 percent this quarter from 43.2 percent last quarter, the Hsinchu-based chipmaker projected.
Hsieh said the fourth quarter would be a slow season, despite MediaTek launching new chips such as the 4G Long-Term Evolution (LTE) modem, supporting China’s TD-LTE technology, before the launch of an integrated LTE chipset in the second half of next year.
MediaTek’s revenue has traditionally declined by between 15 percent and 20 percent sequentially in the fourth quarter over the past few years, Hsieh said.
The firm also plans to launch a new eight-core chip next quarter for high-end smartphones, which it hopes would boost the company’s overall gross margin, he said.
MediaTek’s major rival Qualcomm Inc lambasted MediaTek’s alleged overstating of the performance of the eight-core chip.
“We don’t believe the best user experience is defined by the core… I don’t believe it will be a success in the market,” Qualcomm chief marketing officer Anand Chandrasekher told a teleconference on Monday.
MediaTek shares rose 0.28 percent to NT$363 yesterday, their highest level in more than a month.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his