Greece is close to a deal with its international creditors over thousands of job cuts aimed at clearing the way for the debt-laden nation to receive the next tranche of bailout funds worth 8.1 billion euros (US$10.4 billion), officials said.
“Very important progress was made,” a Greek Ministry of Finance official said late on Saturday after several hours of talks with representatives from the “troika” of lenders: the EU, the European Central Bank and the IMF, the state-run Athens News Agency reported.
Another official from the Greek Ministry of Administrative Reform told reporters: “We are in agreement, no new meeting is required” on a thorny dispute involving thousands of civil service layoffs.
Photo: Reuters
Greece needs to come to an agreement on the next package of reforms with the troika before today, when the Eurogroup meets to decide if the bloc should release the next instalment of rescue funds worth 6.3 billion euros.
The IMF is also scheduled to decide by the end of this month whether to disburse its scheduled contribution of 1.8 billion euros to the bailout kitty.
The funds are necessary as Greece must redeem three-month and six-month debt worth 6.6 billion euros by the middle of next month.
Among the reforms being negotiated are 4,000 state jobs, which would have to go by the end of the year. Greece must also redeploy 25,000 civil servants across its vast bureaucracy. These include hundreds of teachers, whom Athens has proposed to move to other state services.
Another 3,500 municipal police are to be incorporated in the national forces, a proposed move that has sparked strong opposition from local administration staff.
The latest cuts will be enshrined in a new multi-purpose law that will be tabled in Greece’s parliament today.
Since 2010, the EU and IMF have committed a total of 240 billion euros to the heavily indebted country.
In exchange for the funds, Greece has agreed to a series of reforms, including a commitment to raise revenues by offloading state assets.
However, Athens has been forced to once again scale back the expected revenues from its privatization drive for this year to 1.6 billion euros from the 2.6 billion euros forecast earlier.
The missing billion is to be rolled over to next year, a Greek official told the Athens News Agency.
Athens last month failed to sell DEPA, Greece’s public gas distributor, after Russian giant Gazprom JSC pulled out of the bidding process.
Greece has pledged to raise 9.5 billion euros in asset sales by 2016, slightly less than one-fifth of the original target of 50 billion euros.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his