Pegatron Corp (和碩), the PC manufacturing arm of Asustek Computer Inc (華碩), yesterday posted its best quarterly net profit in about three years, on the back of robust seasonal demand for smartphones and sales of customers’ new products, such as Apple Inc’s iPad Mini.
Net profit almost doubled to NT$2.65 billion (US$89 million), or NT$1.18 per share last quarter, compared with the third quarter’s NT$1.35 billion, or NT$0.6 per share, and a 1.7-fold growth from NT$975 million, or NT$0.43 a share, a year ago, according to the company’s financial statement.
The results marked the highest level since the third quarter of 2009, when Pegatron reported a net profit of NT$3.5 billion, or NT$1.54 a share, although the strong performance included a gain of NT$3.29 billion in non-operating income, up 69 percent sequentially.
Operating income grew nearly three-fold to NT$637 million last quarter from NT$160 million in the third quarter of last year, exceeding Credit Suisse analyst Thompson Wu’s (武光明) forecast of NT$528 million.
Operating profit margin improved from 0.1 percent to 0.3 percent during the same period, according to Pegatron’s financial statement.
“In the fourth quarter, the margin improvement was a result of strong revenue and high factory utilization,” Pegatron chief executive officer Jason Cheng (程建中) said.
In a report issued on Friday last week, Wu attributed the margin expansion to an increase in orders for the iPad Mini and iPhone 4, which helped boost Pegatron’s factory utilization.
“This year, improving operating profit margin will continue to be our priority. We hope this year’s figure will be higher than last year,” Cheng said.
Pegatron’s operating profit margin jumped to 0.2 percent from minus-0.9 percent in 2011.
For this quarter, Pegatron forecast across-the-board declines for its three major product segments, blaming seasonally slow demand for notebook computers, consumer electronics, such as LCD TVs, game consoles and e-readers, and communications products.
“Revenue will drop slightly [sequentially] in the first quarter, but it should not be a particularly weak period for us,” Cheng told reporters on the sidelines of the company’s investors’ conference.
Revenue will regain momentum next quarter and grow quarter-by-quarter this year, he said.
Last month, Pegatron chairman Tung Tsu-hsien (童子賢) said the company aimed to grow its revenue to NT$1 trillion this year, up 30 percent from last year’s NT$768 billion.
Pegatron counts Apple and Google Inc as its major clients for tablets and smartphones.
Tablets will be one of the fast-growing areas and Cheng said shipments this year will more than double from last year’s 10 million units.
Notebook shipments are expected to contract between 20 percent and 25 percent sequentially this quarter, while shipments of desktops and motherboards will plummet by between 30 percent and 35 percent, he said.
Revenue from consumer electronics will be flat, or drop 5 percent at a quarterly pace, while revenue for communications products will decline by between 30 percent and 35 percent, the company said.
Computer products were the biggest source of revenue for Pegatron last quarter, accounting for 39 percent of its overall revenue of NT$238.83 billion, down from 63 percent a year ago.
Consumer electronics and communications products made up 33 percent and 28 percent shares, up from 22 percent and 15 percent respectively.
Pegatron said it planned to reduce its capital spending to about US$200 million this year from US$350 million last year.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort