Greek pension funds will not take part in a debt buyback that is a key part of the country’s international bailout, Greek Prime Minister Antonis Samaras said in a newspaper interview.
Greece must conduct the deal by Dec. 13, before it receives more than 30 billion euros (US$39 billion) in bailout payments from the eurozone and the IMF. Athens has said it is vital the buyback is successful, but it must attract interest from bondholders, who need to decide whether to participate in the process, to ensure the country’s debt is deemed viable in the coming decade.
“The debt buyback does not concern the pension funds,” Samaras was quoted as saying in an interview with yesterday’s Proto Thema newspaper.
“We wouldn’t erase the debt even if we took the funds’ bonds. These are seen as arrears of the state to itself,” he said.
Greek pension funds hold more than 8 billion euros out of a total 63 billion euros of Greek bonds held by private investors. Greek banks are estimated to hold nearly 17 billion euros.
Most of their capital has already been wiped out by a debt cut in March and they must be recapitalized with more than 40 billion euros in bailout funds.
The government is expected to unveil the terms of the deal today before a meeting of eurozone finance ministers. So far, international lenders have agreed the bonds would not be purchased for more than the closing price on Nov. 23.
On the secondary market, Greek bonds eligible under the buyback ranged from 25.15 to 34.41 cents in the euro at trading’s close on that date, according to Reuters data.
Greece aims to cut its debt by spending about 10 billion euros from its rescue package on the buyback scheme. Samaras said that Greek banks would benefit from the voluntary debt buyback deal, since they held Greek bonds at lower prices on their books.
“The banks won’t lose out because [the bonds] on their books are down at a lower price,” he said. “They won’t lose any of their capital, but will end up with more liquidity.”
A senior Greek banker told reporters last week that some of the country’s banks held Greek bonds at 22 to 23 euro cents on their books. However, the banks together were likely to forego about 3 billion to 4 billion euros in interest payments over the next 10 years if they participated.
The deal is seen as a golden opportunity for hedge funds which have bought the bonds at rock bottom prices.
In an interview in yesterday’s Ethnos newspaper, Greek Finance Minister Yannis Stournaras said many bondholders would profit from the deal and reiterated that Athens would make every effort to attract wide participation.
“This program must succeed,” he said.
“There is a big part of bondholders who bought them recently, at very low prices, and will possibly estimate that their participation in the buyback programme will be profitable,” he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his