The government has cut the feed-in tariffs to be paid to generators of solar power next year because of the decreasing costs of manufacturing solar panel modules, the Bureau of Energy said on Wednesday.
The feed-in tariffs (FITs) are the wholesale prices that state-run utility Taiwan Power Co (Taipower, 台電) pays generators of solar power.
The bureau said the government would cut the tariffs by between 9.23 percent and 11.88 percent for solar power plants in different capacity categories in the first half of next year, after cuts of between 1.9 percent and 2.56 percent in the second half of this year.
However, the feed-in tariffs for hydropower energy will be increased by 5.79 percent to NT$2.47 per kilowatt-hour, while rates for energy from other renewable energy sources — wind, geothermal and waste materials — will be maintained, the bureau said.
ADJUSTMENTS
Under the latest adjustments, the new tariffs for the first half of next year will be NT$8.4 per kilowatt-hour for rooftop solar energy panel plants with a capacity below 10 kilowatts, NT$7.54 for between 10 kilowatts and 100 kilowatts, NT$7.12 for 100 kilowatts to 500 kilowatts, NT$6.33 for 500 kilowatts and above, and NT$5.98 for ground-based solar panel plants.
The current rates are NT$9.25 per kilowatt-hour for panel plants of up to 10 kilowatts, NT$8.33 for between 10 kilowatts and 100 kilowatts, NT$7.97 for 100 kilowatts to 500 kilowatts, NT$7.19 for 500 kilowatts and above and NT$6.76 for ground-based solar energy panel plants, the bureau’s figures show.
The new tariffs for the first half of next year are still higher than the average cost of NT$2.47 per kilowatt-hour generated by Taipower, Taiwan Cogeneration Corp (台汽電) and independent power producers (IPPs) using fossil fuels such as coal and oil, Tseng Tseng-tsai (曾增材), senior specialist at the bureau’s energy technology division, said at a press conference.
The government expects the production costs of solar energy panels to decline further in the near future, and the rates will be further lowered in the second half of next year to NT$8.18 per kilowatt-hour for rooftop solar power panel plants with an energy capacity below 10 kilowatts, NT$7.23 for those between 10 kilowatts and 100 kilowatts, NT6.9 for 100 kilowatts to 500 kilowatts, NT$5.98 for 500 kilowatts and above, and NT$5.62 for ground-based solar power panel plants, he said.
Meanwhile, the bureau has raised the nation’s solar power capacity target to 130 megawatts for next year, an increase of 30 percent from this year’s 100 megawatts, Tseng said.
INCENTIVES
He said the increase in the capacity target would provide incentives for solar panel and photovoltaic systems makers, creating job opportunities in other industries such as architecture, engineering and steel, and increasing the total solar panel production value from NT$11.6 billion (US$399 million) this year to NT$13.2 billion next year.
“We forecast renewable energy companies will make higher profits next year compared with this year and there will be more firms entering the market,” Tseng said, while expressing the hope that the nation’s photovoltaic exports would increase by 10 percent a year.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his