China announced 50 new orders for its new Comac C919 passenger jet at the opening of the country’s main air show yesterday and looked set to assist in the rebirth of one of the most famous names in aviation — defunct US carrier Eastern Air Lines.
The dozens of new orders for China’s first large commercial passenger jet were seen dominating the first day of the China International Aviation and Aerospace Exhibition, held every two years in the southern city of Zhuhai, along with fresh evidence of China’s military ambitions.
The latest orders for the 150-seat plane will boost the official total to 380, reaching the state-owned manufacturer’s declared breakeven point of 300 to 400 orders. However, Western analysts say it will be some time before the aircraft, due to make its maiden flight in 2014, proves its viability.
Photo: AFP
The C919 is designed to challenge Airbus SAS and Boeing Co in the largest segment of the US$100 billion annual jetliner market.
Commercial Aircraft Corp of China (COMAC, 中國商用飛機) yesterday said it would sign orders for 20 aircraft each with Joy Air and Hebei Aviation Group, confirming a Reuters report of buying interest from the two Chinese regional carriers.
Its only foreign customer, GECAS, a unit of General Electric Co which co-produces the engines, will buy 10 more, taking its total order for the plane to 20, COMAC said in a statement.
Photo: Reuters
Other potential C919 customers that have already signed tentative agreements include Irish low-cost carrier Ryanair and British Airways, COMAC said.
COMAC also confirmed it would sign a provisional agreement with investors representing Eastern Air Lines, which went bankrupt in 1991. There have been sporadic reports of efforts to relaunch the airline, whose forked logo was seen on display as a backdrop to the signing ceremony due later yesterday.
Once led by former World War I ace Eddie Rickenbacker and later by former Apollo astronaut Frank Borman, Miami-based Eastern Air Lines rose to become one of the largest airlines in the world before losing a battle against low-cost competition.
The air show — attended by a record 650 exhibitors — also featured prototypes of a new Chinese business aircraft and a model of a new stealth fighter China hopes to build for export.
Industry publication Aviation Week noted the model bore a “striking resemblance” to an aircraft recently photographed flying from the Shenyang Aircraft factory, which captured worldwide interest from military analysts and publications.
Separately, Airbus said it expects to build the planned A320neo jet in China, as the planemaker holds discussions about extending the life of its first assembly line outside Europe.
The company is in talks with partners about operating the Tianjin, China, facility through 2025, Airbus’ China head Laurence Barron said yesterday at a press briefing. The factory already makes the current A320 model.
“We can expect to see the neo being assembled here in China in the near future,” Barron said.
The aircraft is due to enter service in 2015. Airbus also builds A320s in France and Germany, and is planning to open a factory in Alabama in the US.
Barron also said the EU’s decision to suspend the introduction of emissions levies on foreign carriers is positive for Airbus in China. The country had been among nations opposing the EU plan because of sovereignty and cost concerns.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort