Apple Inc may face a difficult task invalidating two HTC Corp (宏達電) patents for data transmission in wireless devices, a US trade judge said at a trial that could lead to import bans on the newest iPad and next version of the iPhone.
“Clear and convincing means something to me,” US International Trade Commission Judge Thomas Pender said on Thursday in Washington, referring to the legal standard in determining that a patent should not have been issued.
“I have to be pretty darn certain a US patent is invalid,” he said.
HTC accuses Apple of infringing two patents it owns for ways to reliably transmit a larger amount of data.
Taoyuan-based HTC said the patented methods are critical to the 4G technology known as LTE, or long-term evolution, that allows faster downloads.
A victory could let HTC seek an import ban on the latest iPad and even the newest iPhone, if it uses LTE when it is unveiled as early as next week. That could give the Taiwanese handset maker leverage to force a settlement with Apple, which has made its own patent infringement claims against HTC.
The newest iPad, which went on sale in the US in March, is the first from Apple that runs on LTE wireless networks. Apple is expected to introduce its newest iPhone on Wednesday, and HTC can argue that it should be subject to an import ban because it was in production during the pre-trial investigative portion of the case.
Apple and HTC have been embroiled in patent battles over features in smartphones since March 2010, when Apple filed its first infringement claim at the trade agency. The case at trial on Thursday, and an earlier case HTC lost at the commission, “were filed in retaliation against Apple,” Apple lawyer Michael McKeon of Fish & Richardson in Washington said.
HTC lawyer Tom Jarvis of Finnegan Henderson said the company was the first to sell Android and 4G devices and one of the first with touch screens.
“HTC is an innovator,” Jarvis told the judge. “It’s no Johnny-come-lately.”
However, in this case, HTC acquired the patents at issue in April last year, around the same time it began selling its first LTE phone, the Thunderbolt. The patents are part of a portfolio HTC bought for US$75 million from ADC Telecommunications Inc.
“I don’t care if they bought these patents to sue you or not,” Pender told McKeon. “They are a property right.”
In a court filing, HTC said it bought the patents, which ADC said were being infringed by Apple, “to protect itself and its customers from these aggressive tactics and to preserve its ability to compete in the US.”
The case on trial on Thursday, filed in August last year, initially included five patents that HTC obtained from Google Inc. Pender threw out that part of the case, saying HTC did not have adequate ownership control under the terms of its agreement with Google. The commission upheld that decision in July.
Pender said he probably would not side with Apple’s argument that HTC did not have proper ownership rights of the two former ADC patents.
Separately, HTC won a court ruling dismissing a patent infringement case against it after a judge found the inventor made false declarations to patent officials.
US District Judge William Hart in Chicago on Thursday ruled that Daniel Henderson, the founder of Intellect Wireless, made false statements to the US Patent and Trademark Office to overcome prior art, or previous references, cited in opposition to elements of his patents.
Henderson claimed HTC infringed patents covering technology allowing a wireless device to receive and display caller identification, pictures, video messages and multimedia messaging services.
“This case presents not just one instance of a false statement, but a series beginning in August and December of 2006,” Hart wrote in his opinion.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his