HTC Corp (宏達電) remained the fifth-largest supplier of mobile phones in the US, but the struggling manufacturer has narrowed the gap between it and the leading players, research firm comScore said on Wednesday.
According to comScore, 234 million Americans aged 13 and older used smartphones and feature phones from April to June this year.
Samsung Electronics Co ranked as the top handset maker with 25.6 percent of US mobile subscribers, followed by LG Electronics Inc (18.8 percent), Apple Inc (15.4 percent), Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc (11.7 percent) and HTC (6.4 percent), it said.
Among the top five vendors, Apple recorded the biggest gain of 1.4 percentage points from the previous three-month period, while HTC’s market share rose 0.4 percentage points.
Google Inc’s unit, Motorola, dipped 1.1 percentage points, while LG and Samsung declined 0.5 and 0.4 percentages points respectively, it said.
In April, HTC said it would rely more on the smartphone markets in Europe and Asia in the face of the stiff competition in the US.
AT&T Inc, the second-largest US mobile operator, last month cut the price of HTC’s One X flagship smartphone from US$199 to US$99 for a two-year contract, less than three months after its launch.
Some analysts viewed the move as a bad signal because HTC had been able to sell its phones for six to 12 months prior to the price cuts.
HTC has also been doing well in China, with its cheaper “New Desire” series, which lifted its market share in the below-2,500 yuan (US$392) segment from 3 percent in the first quarter to 6 percent in June, they said.
The company is scheduled to report its latest quarterly results today, with two foreign brokerages forecasting a weak outlook for the struggling smartphone vendor, citing a worsening product mix and tougher competition.
“We maintain our view initiated since October 2011 that HTC is squeezed in the middle, with smartphone commoditization being accelerated by chip designer MediaTek Inc (聯發科),” said Aaron Jeng (鄭明宗), a Taipei-based Nomura Holdings Inc analyst.
“What’s worse, HTC seems to be losing share in the high-end smartphone space despite launching its One X flagship model both in China and the US,” he wrote in a research note on Monday.
“We expect competition will become tougher over the next 6-9 months, with iPhone 5 hitting the One X, and China-branded low-price dual-core and quad-core phones hitting the ‘New Desire,’” Jeng wrote.
In a separate note, Bank of America Merrill Lynch said it expected a 4 percent quarter-on-quarter drop in HTC’s third-quarter sales, with an operating margin of 8.6 percent.
Merrill Lynch said it expected HTC to launch a 5-inch Android smartphone, and models running on the touch-friendly Windows 8 system later this year.
However, the Windows-based smartphone has only a 4 percent market share currently and will likely remain a niche market player this year, while big-screen models will also face strong competition from Samsung, it said.
Bank of America Merrill Lynch Merrill Lynch analyst Robert Cheng (鄭勝榮) said HTC’s most important model launch was likely to be in the first quarter of next year, and its momentum in the second half of this year would be muted due to a lack of strong models.
“We have witnessed HTC conducting a series of cost-downs and restructuring in its R&D team recently to lift the bottom line,” he said. “However, amazing new models and market position are the key growth factors for the company.”
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he