MediaTek Inc (聯發科), the nation’s biggest handset chipmaker, yesterday said it has formed a global strategic partnership with Twitter Inc to allow users of feature phones powered by MediaTek’s chips better access to Twitter’s social networking services, following a similar collaboration with Facebook unveiled eight months ago.
The latest partnership would help MediaTek build a stronger foothold in emerging markets, as the chipmaker said about 70 percent of mobile phones sold in less-developed countries are feature phones and the chipmaker’s solution would meet the growing demand for mobile Internet access.
According to a recent study by media research firm Informa Telecoms and Media, emerging markets will account for 60 percent of the mobile phone market by next year.
Based on the partnership, MediaTek will pre-load Twitter applications on MediaTek’s MRE middleware as a default feature in its reference design for mobile handsets. That will help mobile manufacturers shrink their time-to-market and develop product differentiation, the Hsinchu-based chipmaker said.
“Our new partnership with Twitter further reinforces MediaTek’s focus on providing differentiated services and value for handset brands, giving them the means to offer affordable, compelling and differentiated mobile solutions to consumers in key emerging markets,” MediaTek vice president Cheng-Te Chuang (莊承德) said in a statement.
MediaTek’s newly launched smart-feature phone chip, the MT6255, would be the first model to carry Twitter applications, according to the statement. The Twitter service pre-load will then be expanded to all MediaTek mobile platforms gradually.
The new handset chip is part of the chipmaker’s efforts to add extra value to its chips in an attempt to stave off falling demand for low-priced feature phones in less-developed countries, where people are replacing their feature phones with low-cost smartphones for a better Internet experience.
With the MRE solution, smart-feature phones will be able to run Twitter with minimal memory and hardware requirements, allowing handset makers to offer devices at affordable prices, MediaTek said.
“Mobile Internet represents a great opportunity for Twitter to reach every person on the planet. Our partnership with MediaTek will help people in emerging markets enjoy the same rich Twitter experience on their mobile devices as more than 140 million other people around the world,” Twitter vice president of business development Jana Messerschmidt said.
MediaTek shares slipped 0.19 percent to NT$264.5 yesterday, underperforming the TAIEX’s 0.09 percent gain.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort