Intrigue mounted on Saturday over the ouster of former Vatican bank president Ettore Gotti Tedeschi, with leaked documents showing board members and even a psychiatrist had questioned his behavior and fitness for the job months before he was fired.
The board of the Vatican bank ousted Tedeschi on May 24 in a unanimous no-confidence vote, firing a man handpicked by Pope Benedict XVI’s No. 2 to help turn around an institution that has been plagued by scandal for decades.
The board has already made public a scathing denunciation of Tedeschi’s failings as president, saying he was impeding the bank’s efforts to be more financially transparent as the Vatican tries to get on the so-called “white list” of countries that share financial information.
The Il Fatto Quotidiano daily cited a letter on Saturday from a Rome psychotherapist, Pietro Lasalvia, who in March wrote to the bank’s general director with his concerns about Tedeschi’s personal behavior.
Lasalvia, a specialist in the psychology of workplace stress who had been brought into the bank to tend to staffers’ needs, said Tedeschi demonstrated certain behavior linked to a pathological disorder, but stressed on Saturday that his observations were not a diagnosis, but merely reflections.
Tedeschi’s ouster has jolted the staid world of Vatican affairs, in part because of his close ties to Benedict. The firing became all the more worrisome to the Holy See when Tedeschi’s home was raided last week in an unrelated corruption probe and documents he had prepared to respond to his firing were seized by police.
The seizure and Tedeschi’s subsequent questioning by prosecutors prompted the Vatican on Friday to issue a warning to both its ex-bank president and Italian authorities, reminding them that its officials and documents enjoy immunity protection given that the Vatican is a sovereign state.
Tedeschi and the banks’ general director were placed under investigation in 2010 by Rome prosecutors for alleged violations of Italy’s anti-money laundering norms in conducting a routine transaction from a Vatican Bank account at an Italian bank. Prosecutors seized about 23 million euros (US$28.97 million) from the account, but eventually returned it after the Vatican passed an anti-money laundering law that went into effect last year.
Tedeschi had long called the investigation the result of a misunderstanding. Neither he nor the general director were charged. In addition to the Lasalvia letter, Il Fatto reproduced two other letters from bank board members to the Vatican secretary of state in which they explained why they wanted Tedeschi out.
Ronaldo Hermann Schmitz, former No. 2 at Deutsche Bank and now the bank’s interim president, told Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone he would resign from the board if Tedeschi’s ouster were not accepted, saying the bank’s reputation in international financial circles had degenerated so much recently that he feared “imminent danger.”
Carl Anderson, head of the US Catholic fundraising organization Knights of Columbus, cited Tedeschi’s “lack of an adequate response” to JP-Morgan’s decision to close its Vatican Bank accounts earlier this year. JP Morgan did so under apparent pressure from Italian banking regulators.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his