The Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics (DGBAS) yesterday revised downward its forecast for GDP growth this year to 3.03 percent from the 3.38 percent it estimated last month, mainly due to weaker exports.
It was the sixth straight time DGBAS has revised downward its forecast for this year’s GDP growth since August last year, when the agency forecast a 4.58 percent growth rate for this year.
“Exports fell more than expected in the first half of the year, which is the major factor making us revise downward our full-year economic growth forecast,” DGBAS section chief Joshua Gau (高志祥) told a press conference.
Exports dropped 4 percent in the first quarter from a year earlier, a phenomenon rarely seen, Gau said.
Previous drops in quarterly exports only happened during the Asian financial crisis that began in 1997, the dot-com bubble in 2000 and the global financial crisis that began in 2008.
Full-year exports are expected to grow 2.69 percent to US$316.5 billion this year, with exports in the second quarter continuing to post a 2.55 percent year-on-year decline, DGBAS statistics showed.
The agency also revised downward its forecast for private consumption this year to 2.03 percent from the 2.28 percent estimated last month, citing the negative impact of the recent volatile stock market and rising inflationary pressure.
First-quarter economic growth stood at 0.39 percent, the lowest level in more than two years and a deceleration from the 1.85 percent in the fourth quarter of last year, DGBAS said.
Katrina Ell, a Sydney-based economist at Moody’s Analytics, said electronics are the key weak point, dragging down manufacturing and exports, and flowing through to private consumption.
“Production and exports face severe headwinds due to weak global technology demand,” Ell said in a research note yesterday.
She expects weakness to continue into the second quarter, because global technology demand has remained soft, before the economy strengthens in the second half of the year.
The latest DGBAS data also showed GDP growth is expected to expand gradually to 0.77 percent in the second quarter, 4 percent in the third quarter and 6.55 percent in the fourth quarter.
The government’s decision to increase electricity rates in three stages, instead of the original one-time bump, has helped lessen the negative impact on GDP growth this year, DGBAS statistics division director Tsai Hung-kun (蔡鴻坤) said.
The rise in electricity and gas prices under the new plan is expected to drag down economic growth this year by 0.24 percentage points, down from the original plan’s 0.34 percentage point impact, Tsai said.
The new plan is also expected to have less impact on annual growth in the consumer price index (CPI), allowing the DGBAS to revise downward its CPI growth forecast to 1.84 percent for this year, compared with its previous estimate of 1.94 percent.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his