Europe got more downbeat economic news yesterday as inflation remained higher than expected and European Central Bank (ECB) data showed only anemic growth in credit to businesses, despite its massive infusion of cheap money into the financial system.
Inflation in the 17 countries that use the euro edged down to an annual 2.6 percent last month, down from 2.7 percent in March, but higher than the 2.5 percent expected by market analysts.
Rising prices have been a consistent headache for the ECB — the chief monetary authority for the 17-country eurozone. The annual rate has remained stuck far above the central bank’s goal of just under 2 percent, a target that it now says won’t be reached until early next year.
The stubborn inflation rate — which the ECB blames on higher oil prices and taxes in some other countries — is important to the eurozone debt crisis because it discourages the ECB from cutting its 1 percent benchmark interest rate further. Lower central bank interest rates can spur growth, but can also worsen inflation. ECB President Mario Draghi has stressed that fighting price rises is the bank’s top priority.
Lack of flexibility on interest rates could become more of an issue as worries increase about the depth of the eurozone’s economic downturn. The economy of the 17-country eurozone group shrank 0.3 percent in the fourth quarter of last year.
Recent economic indicators — such as a disappointing survey of purchasing managers showing lower economic activity — have raised fears the dip may be deeper.
Persistently high inflation adds to those growth worries as it hits European consumers’ purchasing power.
“Stubborn inflation will only add to households’ financial problems in the nearer term and supports the view that the eurozone economy will fall deeper into recession,” Ben May, European economist at Capital Economics in London, wrote in a note to investors.
Additionally, high oil prices are squeezing companies’ profits, with oil a key cost factor both in the form of energy and as a raw material.
Analyst Howard Archer at IHS Global Insight said that with inflation “disappointingly sticky” — and in spite of weak forward-looking data putting pressure on Draghi — the ECB appears reluctant to lower interest rates and would likely not change rates at its meeting on Thursday.
The ECB added to the gloom with news that loans to the private sector rose by a meager 0.6 percent in March from the same month a year ago, another sign of weak economic activity.
The ECB has said that its 1 trillion euros (US$1.32 trillion) injection of cheap, three-year emergency loans to commercial banks in December and February have improved financial institutions access to funding, but that businesses are not asking banks for loans because of shaky economic prospects.
Commerzbank analyst Michael Schubert said that the weak demand should reinforce expectations that the ECB for the time being would not resort to further emergency measures such as more longer-term loans to the banks.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his