E Ink Holdings Inc (元太科技), the world’s biggest e-paper display supplier, which counts Amazon as its No. 1 client, yesterday reported its first quarterly loss since the fourth quarter of 2009 amid its major customer’s inventory adjustment.
Consolidated net loss totaled NT$838 million (US$28.5 million), or a loss per share of NT$0.73, in the first quarter, compared with a net income of NT$1.26 billion, or NT$1.19 per share, in the fourth quarter of last year, the company said.
On an annual basis, the figure was also substantially worse than the net profit of NT$1.67 billion, or NT$1.56 per share, recorded in the first quarter of last year, data showed.
E Ink chairman Scott Liu (劉思誠) attributed the first-quarter loss to lower sales and a deteriorating product mix, both led by its major client’s inventory digestion.
“Our major customer was too optimistic about its sales in the fourth quarter of last year and ordered too much from us,” Liu told an investors’ conference in Taipei. “That made the customer order almost nothing from us in the first quarter.”
The fall-off in orders pushed down first-quarter revenue and also dragged down shipments of e-paper displays, the company’s flagship product with higher gross margins.
That also caused E Ink’s capital utilization to deteriorate, further lowering the company’s gross margin to 0.8 percent in the first quarter, from 28.5 percent in the fourth quarter last year.
However, Liu said he expects the first-quarter loss to be the bottom for the company’s performance this year and remains optimistic over the medium term.
“We believe our major customer will launch a new product in the third quarter as usual, which may drive up replacement purchases and attract new buyers,” Liu said.
First-quarter revenue totaled NT$3.84 billion, down 63 percent from the previous quarter and 61 percent from the previous year, data showed.
E Ink shares dropped 3.27 percent to close at NT$34.05 yesterday, underperforming the TAIEX’s 0.55 percent decline, Taiwan Stock Exchange data showed.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort