Unnerved by a febrile stock exchange and persistent rumblings of a potential dip in property prices, Hong Kong investors are seeking refuge in art and the lure of both financial and cultural rewards.
Hong Kong, already the world’s third-largest auction hub, has seen a slew of big name galleries open their doors, including White Cube and the Gagosian, to tap the pockets of the region’s new rich, and the studios of its ever-deepening talent pool of artists.
In turn, new investors, wealthy but not super-rich, are taking a punt on art, many for the first time.
For seed money of HK$180,000 (US$23,300), Levenza Toh bought a painting by Chinese contemporary artist Liu Chunhai (劉純海), which she hopes will rise in value by 20 percent each year — a strong return compared with last year’s stock market slump of 25 percent.
The territory’s bourse has rebounded so far this year after the eurozone-driven losses of last year, but Toh said her investment also brought an aesthetic bounty.
“If the painting loses value I still have something beautiful to pass on to my children,” she said.
Art brokerage The Art Futures group said its client base has grown in step with Hong Kong’s burgeoning reputation as the heart of Asia’s art market.
Art investment has become a relative “safe haven” in stormy markets, said AFG’s Jonathan Macey, adding that the fundamentals of artists’ work can be analyzed in much the same way as a stock, with “mid-career” artists favored over total newcomers or top-priced favorites.
“It is also enjoyable for people in a way that buying property for purely investment purposes isn’t,” he said.
While Macey stresses art is not a “get-rich-quick” scheme, he says clients can expect gains of between 12 percent and 18 percent over a three-to-five year period.
In the interim they can lease their paintings to hang in company and hotel lobbies, providing a dividend of about 7 percent that outstrips most bank interest rates.
Eye-popping sales at Hong Kong’s big auction houses underpin the city’s surge to the heart of Asia’s art scene.
Buyers are particularly enamored by Chinese contemporary art, reflecting China’s rising economic and cultural power, with artists such as Liu Wei (劉煒), Luo Zhongli (羅中立) and Zhang Xiaogang (張曉剛) attracting multi-million US dollar price tags.
Last year, Christie’s Asian arm in Hong Kong saw total sales of Chinese modern art reach about HK$650 million, out of total sales of HK$7.04 billion.
Not to be outdone, Sotheby’s this month hosted an Asian contemporary art sale that sold HK$211 million worth of work — its -second-highest total for such a sale in Hong Kong. The money is also cascading into Hong Kong’s galleries as the profile of art buyers shifts from the high-end collectors who dominated a decade or so ago — many of them European.
“We’ve seen collectors from Asia, Southeast Asia, Indonesia and Taiwan come into the market,” said Nicole Schoeni of the Schoeni Art Gallery, who says her client base has widened over recent years from purely big European collectors.
“They are passionate about art. Investment is an added bonus of course, but they don’t tend to ‘flip’ paintings every two or three months for profit,” she said.
As with any investment, art buying carries a risks as markets fluctuate, but Schoeni said the future looks good for Asian art.
“Asia’s getting richer and there’s also great creativity coming from the region. On top of that people here tend to be hard working, positive and resilient ... the long-term is positive,” she added.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort