Samsung Electronics Co yesterday said it would remain the top vendor for mid-range and entry-level smartphones in Taiwan this year as the market segment continues to grow.
Sales of mid-range and entry-level smartphones, which refer to models priced at under NT$11,000 (US$373), accounted for 33 percent of the nation’s total smartphone sales as of February, according to a survey by Samsung.
However, the ratio is expected to rise to 40 percent by the end of this year, while the ratio of high-end models priced at more than NT$15,000 will drop from 57 percent to 50 percent, the company said.
“We expect more young consumers to switch from feature phones to smartphones, and they may want to spend less money to buy a smartphone,” said Andy Tu (杜偉昱), general manager of the Samsung Taiwan’s mobile communications team.
Samsung became the top vendor of mid-range and entry-level smartphones in Taiwan last year, and the company will hold onto that place this year, he said at a press conference to launch the Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus, a mid-range Android phone
Priced at NT$9,500, the 3.7-inch model runs on a 1 GHz processor and Google Inc’s Android 2.3 software.
Samsung plans to roll out five to six more mid-range and entry-level smartphones this year to boost its sales of such products in Taiwan, Tu said
Smartphone shipments in -Taiwan grew substantially last year — by 18.2 percent to 1.33 million units in the fourth quarter, accounting for 61.8 percent of total mobile phones sold compared with 58.6 percent in the third quarter, research firm International Data Corp (IDC) said.
Google’s Android operating system, which runs on smartphones made by Samsung, HTC Corp (宏達電) and Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc, remained the biggest mobile platform in Taiwan with a 75.5 percent market share, IDC said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his