Greece’s government formally asked investors to exchange their holdings of government debt for new securities in the biggest sovereign restructuring in history.
“The Ministerial Council of the Hellenic Republic today approved the terms of invitations to be made to private sector holders,” the Greek Ministry of Finance said in a statement on Friday on a Web site set up for the exchange.
The bonds subject to the invitation had a total face value of about 206 billion euros (US$277 billion).
The government seeks a 90 percent participation rate and set a 75 percent rate as a threshold for proceeding with the transaction, according to the statement.
Parliament approved laws on Thursday to permit the exchange and cut 106 billion euros of the country’s debt. Private creditors gave their backing earlier this week as eurozone finance ministers weighed a 130 billion-euro package for the nation, its second rescue.
Institute of International Finance managing director Charles Dallara, who represented private bondholders in debt-writedown talks with the government, said he expected a majority of investors to agree to a voluntary bond swap.
“I’m quite optimistic,” Dallara told reporters in Mexico City ahead of a meeting yesterday of finance officials from the G20 nations.
He said that he expected “a high take-up” among bondholders.
The swap is required to secure the European bailout and is geared toward averting the collapse of the Greek economy and default by a member of the euro. The exchange must be completed before March 20, when the country has to redeem 14.5 billion euros of bonds. In return, Greece has promised 3.2 billion euros of public-spending cuts.
The nation’s debt was forecast to balloon to almost double the size of its shrinking economy this year without the write-off, the European Commission said in November.
There’s a “titanic” effort under way to push through plans to reduce wages for civil servants and cut spending on defense, education and healthcare, Greek Prime Minister Lucas Papademos said on Friday at a Cabinet meeting in Athens.
Investors will forgive 53.5 percent of their principal and exchange the remaining holdings for Greek government bonds and notes from the European Financial Stability Facility (EFSF). The coupon on the new bonds was set at 2 percent until February 2015, 3 percent for the following five years, 3.65 percent for 2021 and 4.3 percent until 2042.
Bondholders will exchange 31.5 percent of their principal into 20 new Greek government bonds with maturities of 11 to 30 years and the remaining 15 percent into short-dated securities issued by the EFSF. The new securities will be governed by British law.
Fitch Ratings on Wednesday cut Greece’s credit grade two levels after the country got approval to proceed with the exchange, reducing the long-term foreign and local currency issuer default ratings to “C” from “CCC.”
“The proposal to reduce Greece’s public debt burden via a debt exchange with private creditors will, if completed, constitute a rating default,” Fitch said in a statement. “The exchange, if completed, would constitute a distressed debt exchange.”
Fitch said the country would get a “restricted default” rating after the swap starts, one level above “default.”
Once the transaction is completed, it will be moved out of that category and “re-rated at a level consistent with the agency’s assessment of its post-default structure and credit profile,” Fitch said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his