Apple Inc on Wednesday said application developers would have to get express permission from users before tapping into contact information stored in its popular gadgets, in a move to address privacy concerns.
The maker of iPhones, iPads and iPods made its position clear after two US lawmakers asked the California-based company whether apps running on the company’s devices might be accessing private data without asking users.
“Apps that collect or transmit a user’s contact data without their prior permission are in violation of our guidelines,” Apple spokesperson Tom Neumayr said in an e-mail. “We’re working to make this even better for our customers and as we have done with location services, any app wishing to access contact data will require explicit user approval in a future software release.”
US representatives Henry Waxman and G.K. Butterfield sent a letter to Apple chief executive Tim Cook following reports that social networking app Path collected and stored address book information without explicitly asking for a user’s consent.
“This incident raises questions about whether Apple’s iOS app developer policies and practices may fall short when it comes to protecting the information of iPhone users and their contacts,” they said.
In a blog post last week, Path co-founder and chief executive David Morin apologized for uploading users’ address book information without asking for permission.
“We made a mistake,” Morin said. “We are deeply sorry if you were uncomfortable with how our application used your phone contacts.”
Path released updated applications modified to ask users whether they would like to opt in or out of letting the service use personal contact lists to help them connect with friends or family at the social network.
Apple shares, which soared past the US$500 mark on Monday, lost 2.31 percent on Wednesday to close at US$497.67.
Separately, Google Inc on Wednesday assured users of its smartphone wallets that the mobile-age technology thwarts thieves better than old-school cash or credit cards.
“Mobile payments are going to become more common in the coming years and we will learn much more as we continue to develop Google Wallet,” Google payments vice president Osama Bedier said in a blog post. “In the meantime, you can be confident that the digital wallet you carry provides defenses that plastic and leather simply don’t.”
A Google Wallet feature that lets people load prepaid card information in smartphones for spending was re-activated this week after being shut off for a few days to fix a potential security vulnerability.
“While we’re not aware of any abuse of prepaid cards or the Wallet PIN resulting from these recent reports, we took this step as a precaution to ensure the security of our Wallet customers,” Bedier said.
The action from Google came after a Zvelo Labs researcher demonstrated software that quickly figures out a Wallet PIN, provided the crook has the smartphone.
The researcher dismissed the threat of hackers picking Google Wallets remotely, saying that physical access is needed to get priority access to controls in a process kn ow as “rooting.”
Security specialists advise Google Wallet users to enable security features such as full-disk encryption and screen locks.
Google Wallet is available only on the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus smartphones, which Google developed with Samsung Electronics Co. Google plans to expand the feature to more Android phones.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his