AU Optronics Corp (AUO, 友達光電), the nation’s No. 2 LCD panel maker, yesterday posted record-high quarterly losses for the last quarter as the global economic slump cut demand for LCD TVs and drove down prices.
An additional allocation of reserves of NT$3.1 billion (US$105 million) for potential damage stemming from price-fixing lawsuits in the US added to the already weak quarterly results.
Net losses widened to NT$21 billion in the fourth quarter of last year, compared with losses of NT$11.34 billion in the fourth quarter a year earlier and losses of NT$15.8 billion in the previous quarter, AUO’s financial statement showed. That marked the company’s fifth consecutive quarterly loss.
The results were worse than the industry had been anticipating, and AUO blamed slower-than-expected sales of its new products.
“The results disappointed most analysts, even after the antitrust spending had been taken out of consideration,” said Stanley Lin (林其範), an analyst with Oriental Securities Investment Advisory Co (亞東證券投資顧問).
Lin had previously estimated that AUO’s losses would narrow to NT$15.52 billion in the fourth quarter and he said that the company’s prospects for the near term look bleak.
“I did not hear much in the way of exciting messages from the company,” Lin said. “I do not expect them to return to the the black any time soon based on the current market situation.”
Giving his outlook for the whole of this year, AUO president Paul Peng (彭雙浪) told investors that “the worst conditions for the industry are over.”
Peng based his forecast on the expectation of a reduction in the supply glut this year and he added that global LCD panel capacity would expand 14 percent year-on-year this year, slightly in excess of the 8 percent annual growth rate in demand.
That would help the company’s revenues and profitability, which “will improve quarter by quarter this year,” Peng said.
AUO pinned its hopes mostly on growth in demand for LCD TVs in emerging markets in populous nations, such as India, Indonesia and Brazil.
In the quarter ending Dec. 31, revenues dropped 9.5 percent compared to the third quarter, or down 13 percent year-on-year to NT$89.51 billion, with 42 percent of revenue coming from TV panels.
This quarter, shipments of LCD panels for TVs and PCs are expected to be flat, in a best case scenario, from the shipments of 26.8 million units in the last quarter, as demand looks to rebound gradually amid low inventory, AUO said. Such conditions would cause the equipment utilization rate to rise slightly to between 75 percent and 80 percent, the panel supplier said.
The average selling price of TV and PC panels is expected to hold steady this quarter, after dropping almost 6 percent quarter-on-quarter to US$672 per square meter, as AUO was scheduled to ship new high-resolution and thinner products that deliver a premium, from this quarter.
In a separate statement, AUO said last month’s revenues plunged 21.7 percent month-on-month to NT$21.71 billion and shipments of TV and PC panels slid 15 percent monthly, as the company was in a product transition period, extending from the last quarter.
AUO said it was scheduled to massively produce high-resolution OLED panels used in smartphones this quarter and it planned to unveil OLED samples for TVs by the end of this year.
AUO also kept unchanged its budget of NT$40 billion on new equipment and facilities, down nearly 30 percent from last year’s NT$57 billion.
AUO also said the company’s financial status was healthy and it has sufficient cash to pay back NT$48 billion in syndicated loans that would due this year. The company accumulated about NT$90 billion in cash and in equivalence plus available syndicated bank loans of NT$40 billion.
For the full year of last year, AUO booked NT$61.45 billion in losses, reversing net profits of NT$7.41 billion in 2010.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort