Calls are growing for the Roman Catholic Church’s vast real-estate holdings in Italy to be more heavily taxed at a time when ordinary citizens must tighten their belts.
Tens of thousands of people have signed an online petition for the Church not to be spared a property tax envisaged by Italy’s new Cabinet and lawmakers from parties on the left and right are now backing the campaign.
Italian Cooperation and Integration Minister Andrea Riccardi joined in on Friday, saying: “The Church should pay the IMU for commercial activities.”
He was referring to a new municipal tax from which Church property used for commercial purposes, including hotels, is currently exempt.
Angelo Bagnasco, leader of the conference of Italian bishops, said: “If there are points in the law that have to be reviewed or discussed, we are not against it.”
However, he said, the current rules “recognize the social value of the activities of non-profit entities, including the Catholic Church.”
Asked about the issue last week, Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti, a practicing Catholic, said: “It is a question we have not yet asked ourselves.”
Under a new austerity regime, the government will ask Italians to pay higher taxes on their real-estate assets, but the Church remains shielded under a 1982 law absolving Church buildings unless they are used exclusively for commercial activities.
The extra revenue from these exempt properties — including hotels, restaurants and sports centers could be 25.5 million euros (US$33.9 million) a year in Rome alone, La Repubblica daily reported, citing official figures.
Eau Vive, a French restaurant near the Pantheon in the heart of Rome, and the four-star hotel Ponte Sisto are both exempt, the newspaper said.
The Church has defended itself saying many of its properties have charitable purposes, such as soup kitchens and community centers.
“The Church gets exemptions like all non-profits ... They are not privileges,” Giuseppe della Torre, a senior Vatican judge, was quoted by Corriere della Sera as saying.
Properties belonging to the Vatican are exempt from Italian taxes altogether as they are considered part of a sovereign state under the Lateran Accords signed between Italy and the Holy See in the 1930s.
The Vatican secretary of state, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, said last week that the exemption was “a problem to be studied,” but also added that it supported “the weakest of society and performs an activity in favor of society.”
Those pushing for change say they do not deny the Church’s important social role, but believe it has abused the tax regime.
They want a review of the law to ensure buildings used for commercial activities do not escape tax. And they point out that the EU’s executive commission has investigated competition distortions, notably in the hotel industry, as a result of the Church’s fiscal exemptions.
The National Association of Italian Municipalities said the Italian Treasury stood to earn between 500 million euros and 700 million euros per year if the real-estate tax is extended.
Real-estate agency Gruppo RE said 20 percent of the real estate in Italy was directly or indirectly controlled by religious entities.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his