Memorychip maker Powerchip Technology Corp’s (力晶科技) creditor banks are mulling whether to extend the grace period for debt repayments a second time after the loss-making company made clear it is unable to make its payments scheduled for next month, bank executives said yesterday.
The Hsinchu-based company, which aims to cut PC DRAM capacity to a maximum of 20 percent of total capacity next year in a bid to restructure, owes five syndicated loans valued at NT$46.6 billion (US$1.54 billion) held by most of the domestic and foreign banks in Taiwan, Cathay Financial Holding Co (國泰金控) spokesman Alan Lee (李偉正) said by telephone.
Cathay Financial has exposure to Powerchip valued at more than NT$4 billion because both its banking and life insurance units took part in the syndicated loans, Lee said.
Powerchip, whose losses widened to NT$6.66 billion in the third quarter, from NT$1.21 billion three months earlier, has requested another one-year grace period, Lee said.
The company said it is unable to honor a debt payment of NT$10.6 billion due next month, although it has managed to pay interest regularly, Lee said.
“We will reach a decision after discussing the matter with other creditor banks,” Lee said. “We hope Powerchip will provide more details about its proposed restructuring and concrete numbers about its shift from the ailing DRAM sector to the more profitable foundry business.”
Hua Nan Commercial Bank (華南銀行), the flagship subsidiary of state-run Hua Nan Financial Holding Co (華南金控), which has lent Powerchip NT$3.73 billion, is organizing the meetings, with the first to be held on Monday.
Hua Nan Bank executive vice president York Lai (賴明佑) said the creditor banks are inclined to grant the grace period, but would prefer a partial repayment of the debt.
Hua Nan Bank has confidence in Powerchip, which has chipmaking orders from heavyweight customers, but faces a cash crunch that could drive it out of business, an unfavorable development for creditor banks, Lai said.
“Powerchip is different from ProMOS Technologies Inc (茂德科技), which is asking banks to cancel its debts or convert them into company shares,” Lai said. “But neither can save ProMOS unless it can find a strategic partner.”
However, Hua Nan Bank still plans to set aside more provision for loans to Powerchip, raising it to 10 percent of the total this month from the required 1 percent last month just to be prudent, Lai said.
First Commercial Bank (第一銀行), the banking unit of First Financial Holding Co (第一金控) was even more cautious.
First Bank increased the provision ratio to 20 percent of its NT$2.3 billion loan to Powerchip last month, spokesperson Lin Hann-chyi (林漢奇) said.
“We will endorse whatever arrangement is best for both sides,” Lin said. “An extended grace period is better than an outright default, I guess.”
Mega International Commercial Bank (兆豐國際商銀), the banking arm of Mega Financial Holdings Co (兆豐金控), was similarly pragmatic.
The bank has lent NT$2.5 billion to Powerchip and intends to raise its provision ratio to 10 percent or higher as necessary at a later date, a bank executive said, asking that she not be named.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his