Acer Inc (宏碁), the world’s fourth-largest PC vendor, yesterday reported its second quarterly net loss in a row, but said its operating loss in the third quarter had greatly improved from the second quarter.
In the three months that ended on Sept. 30, the company’s net loss was NT$1.1 billion (US$36 million), or a loss of NT$0.43 per share, Acer said in an e-mailed statement.
The figure represented a significant improvement from a net loss of NT$6.79 billion, or a loss of NT$2.57 per share, in the second quarter. On an annual basis, however, that compares with a net income of NT$4.29 billion, or earnings per share of NT$1.61, in the third quarter last year, company data showed.
Over the past two quarters, Acer has been working to adjust its inventories and fine-tune its business strategy in the face of declines in netbook and notebook sales because of the impact of tablet devices, such as the iPad.
The company is also undergoing restructuring pains following the departure of a number of key executives, such as former chief executive Gianfranco Lanci, former global marketing vice president Gianpiero Morbello and the former president of its handheld intelligence group, Aymar de Lencquesaing.
On a positive note, the company’s consolidated revenue increased 14.9 percent quarter-on-quarter to NT$117.3 billion in the third quarter, although the figure was still nearly 30 percent lower than a year earlier.
“Acer’s third-quarter consolidated revenue grew from the second quarter, with channel inventories significantly reduced to a reasonable level,” the statement said.
Operating loss in the third quarter also dropped 81.4 percent to NT$1.32 billion from NT$7.09 billion in the second quarter, after the company wrote off US$150 million of inventories in Europe and on its account receivables in Spain in the second quarter, as well as earmarking another US$30 million for layoff-related expenses.
“Comparing the two quarters’ operating losses on the same bases, by deducting the one-time sales allowance and senior executive severance fees that took place in the second quarter, the margin of the third-quarter operating loss has improved from the second quarter,” Acer said in the statement.
In the first three quarters of the year, Acer’s consolidated revenue totaled NT$347.2 billion, down 27.7 percent from a year ago. The company said operating losses amounted to NT$6.48 billion in the first three quarters, while net losses were NT$6.71 billion, or a loss of NT$2.55 per share.
The company did not provide a sales guidance or an earnings outlook for the current quarter.
Acer chairman and chief executive J.T. Wang (王振堂), who said in August that the company might not be able to break even this year, may shed some light on the progress of the company's restructuring and any impact from potential supply-chain disruption because of the floods in Thailand on Friday next week during its quarterly conference with investors and analysts.
Acer shares fell 1.24 percent to close at NT$35.80 before the announcement of the third-quarter results. The stock has plunged 60.27 percent since the beginning of the year, compared with the benchmark index’s decline of 19.15 percent during the same period.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his