The non-performing loan ratio of Taiwanese banks edged up in August, the first increase in two years, and last month’s figure may climb higher as the risk of a default by embattled memory chipmaker ProMOS Technologies Inc (茂德科技) looms larger, the Financial Supervisory Commission said yesterday.
The domestic banking sector’s bad loan ratio stood at 0.47 percent at the end of August, compared with 0.46 percent in July, the commission’s latest data showed.
The 0.01 percentage point increase in the bad loan ratio in August was attributable to Cosmos Bank (萬泰銀行) recognizing its loan loss caused by Prince Motors Group (太子汽車), the local sales agent of Japan’s Suzuki Motor Corp.
Prince Motors chairman Hsu Sheng-fa (許勝發) is also the founder and former chairman of Cosmos Bank, but relinquished control of the nation’s largest issuer of debit cards after selling a combined 80 percent stake in 2007.
Cosmos Bank has about NT$5.6 billion (US$182.53 million) in secured lending to the cash-strapped Prince Motors. The lender earlier said that it might recover losses later by auctioning the motor company’s real-estate collateral.
Still, the lender is the only bank among 37 domestic peers with a bad loan ratio above the 2 percent level with 6.66 percent, the commission said.
Overall, bad loans with domestic banks totaled NT$98.7 billion as of Aug. 31, up NT$1.8 billion from a month earlier, while outstanding loans increased by NT$247.7 billion to NT$21.12 trillion, the commission’s data showed.
Prince Motors’ default has had little negative impact on the banking sector, compared with that of ProMOS Technologies, which owes about NT$58 billion in a syndicated loan to scores of state-run and private lenders, Chang Kuo-ming (張國銘), deputy director-general of the commission’s Banking Bureau, said yesterday at a press conference.
A ProMOS default would lift the bad loan ratio by another 0.2 percentage points, Chang said, adding that the commission has urged creditor banks to increase provisions as a rescue package remains a pipe dream so far.
The regulator has also asked financial institutions to step up risk-hedging for overseas investments even though their exposure to Greece is modest at NT$1.8 billion, Chang said.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort