Taiwanese interested in buying a new lightweight laptop will be spoilt for choice in the next few months as five companies are planning to launch a total of seven ultrabook models by the end of December.
Ultrabooks from Asustek Computer Inc (華碩), Acer Inc (宏碁), Hewlett-Packard Co (HP), Toshiba Corp and Lenovo Group Ltd (聯想) will start hitting local stores in mass volumes during the fourth quarter, according to Intel Taiwan’s country manager Jason Chen (陳立生).
“Taiwan will be among the first markets to sell ultrabooks,” he told reporters yesterday at an ultrabook promotional press event.
“The consumer reception to ultrabooks here is better than expected,” he added.
Ultrabooks refer to a set of laptops built to be slim, light and powerful, yet very affordable.
The project is backed by Intel Corp, which is pumping in US$300 million in venture capital funds to help PC companies develop this new breed of machines.
Acer has taken the lead to debut the first slew of ultrabooks in Taiwan.
The company last week announced the Aspire S3, which comes with a 13.3-inch LED screen, measures 1.3cm in thickness, weighs less than 1.4kg and has a battery life of up to seven hours.
The price tag starts at NT$35,000 (US$1,142).
One of the unique selling points is that Acer’s ultrabooks offer users a choice of either hard disk drives or solid state drives (SSD), chief marketing officer Scott Lin (林顯郎) said last week.
As much as 90 percent of its ultrabook models will offer hard disk drives, compared to most other makers that offer only SSDs, he said.
SSDs are faster than hard disk drives, but are more expensive.
Toshiba is set to release two models in Taiwan and Japan simultaneously late next month.
Their prices start at NT$37,000.
The machines have 13.3-inch screens and come equipped with a 128GB SSD, according to Chien Chun-hao (錢俊豪), marketing manager of Grainnex Corp (新禾), which retails Toshiba’s products in Taiwan.
“If we reduce the price tags to lower than NT$30,000 through using low-end specifications, those products are less likely to win over Taiwanese users. We tailor our products on each market’s needs,” he said.
Wistron Corp (緯創), Taiwan’s third-largest contract maker of notebooks for brands like HP, Dell Inc and Acer, said ultrabook shipments are expected to account for more than 20 percent of its total notebook shipments during the first half of next year.
“Consumers [have] shifted [their] budgets to tablet PCs, because notebooks offer no new excitement to spur demand,” Wistron president Robert Hwang (黃柏漙) said on Monday.
“[Microsoft Corp’s new operating system] Windows 8 and ultrabooks may change that,” he added.
Taiwanese notebook makers are eager to increase sales, as their third-quarter shipments appeared to be lackluster.
Barclays Capital said on Monday that it expected notebook shipments from Taiwan’s top-tier contract makers to have grown 5 percent quarter-on-quarter in the third quarter, which is much lower than the five-year average of more than 25 percent growth quarter-on-quarter.
This was because of the very weak back-to-school demand and overall global economic uncertainty, it said.
Additional reporting by CNA
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his