South Korean prosecutors have charged four Deutsche Bank employees with illegally manipulating Seoul’s stock market last year to earn more than US$40 million on a single day, a report said yesterday.
Yonhap news agency said the German bank’s Seoul securities unit and the four employees — including three foreign nationals — were accused of amassing 44.8 billion won (US$41.3 million) through illegal trading on the spot and futures markets.
Deutsche Bank said in a statement that it denied the charges and would defend itself in court, according to Dow Jones Newswires. The bank said it did not authorize or condone any breach of market regulation.
The bank’s Hong Kong unit and securities unit in Seoul have both been under investigation for alleged market manipulation and unfair transactions on Nov. 11 last year, an options expiry day.
On that day Seoul’s benchmark KOSPI share index fell 48 points in the session’s last 10 minutes as a result of arbitrage trading between the spot and futures markets. During that time about 2.4 trillion won (US$2.16 billion) in sell orders from foreign investors were processed, most of them through Deutsche Bank’s local securities unit.
The KOSPI ended the day 53.12 points, or 2.79 percent, lower at 1,914.73.
Prosecutors said Deutsche Bank’s securities unit in Seoul and the four employees knowingly placed heavy sell orders so as to pocket massive returns from put options, which were structured to generate profits if the KOSPI plunged.
“All profits they made illegally have been confiscated by the court,” Yonhap quoted chief prosecutor on the case, Lee Seok-hwan, as saying.
South Korea’s securities market — the world’s largest in terms of volume of stock index options trading — saw its stability and transparency “seriously damaged” by the scheme, he said.
Yonhap said three of the four charged employees were foreign nationals and included an executive in Hong Kong, while the fourth was a South Korean executive from the bank’s securities unit in Seoul.
The four have ignored summonses by prosecutors, who plan to ask Hong Kong authorities and Interpol to help extradite them if they refuse to appear in court, the agency said without specifying their current locations.
South Korea, in common with other developing markets, has grown increasingly concerned at the potential risks posed by rapid flows of foreign capital.
In January, authorities announced new rules designed to reduce the risk of sharp stock market volatility triggered by derivatives trading.
In February, Seoul financial authorities suspended some local Deutsche Bank operations for six months over the alleged market manipulation, the -toughest-ever penalty imposed against a foreign securities firm.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his