Spanish unemployment, the highest in Europe, held above 20 percent for the third consecutive quarter, undermining the nation’s recovery from its worst recession in six decades.
The jobless rate fell to 20.9 percent in the second quarter, the National Statistics Institute said yesterday in Madrid, which compared with 21.3 percent in the previous three months and matched the median forecast of six economists in a Bloomberg News survey.
Consumer prices gained 3.1 percent this month from a year earlier after increasing 3 percent last month, the institute said in a separate report.
Spain’s recovery from the collapse of the debt-fueled property bubble is being undermined by the deepest austerity measures in at least three decades as the government aims to narrow the euro region’s third-largest budget deficit to 6 percent of GDP this year from 9.2 percent last year. The unemployment rate has eroded support for the Socialist government, which faces elections by March that polls indicate it will lose.
The government last week decided to temporarily restrict immigration from Romania to those who can show a job contract to ease pressure on the labor market. The length of the restriction will depend on how employment evolves in Spain, Development Minister Jose Blanco said on Friday last week.
Spain has 4.83 million jobless, the survey showed yesterday, the most since the data series started in 1996. That compares with 2.96 million in Germany, a country twice its size. The drop in Spain’s registered unemployment, which fell last month for the third month, is due to a seasonal recovery in the country’s tourist industry.
The government expects the jobless rate to average 19.8 percent this year, the finance ministry said on April 6, compared with a previous forecast of 19.3 percent.
The economy is forecast to expand 1.3 percent this year after two years of contraction, with growth accelerating to 2.3 percent next year and 2.4 percent in 2013, it said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his