Apple Inc could face a production loss of 500,000 iPad 2 tablets after the explosion at Foxconn Technology Group’s (富士康) plant in Chengdu, China, according to research firm IHS iSuppli.
The drop in manufacturing will depend on how long the plant is closed following the explosion on Friday, which killed three people and injured at least 15, iSuppli said.
The estimated production loss could rise further if the suspension of operations at the facility lasts longer than a month, iSuppli said.
Another Foxconn factory in Shenzhen that produces iPads might not be able to make up for the lost output, iSuppli said. The manufacturing breakdown could lead Apple to miss iSuppli’s forecast of 7.4 million iPad 2 shipments in the quarter ending in June, the research firm said.
Mike Abramsky, a technology analyst with RBC Capital Markets, speculated last week that the impact could be larger.
If Chengdu is where Apple’s iPads are mainly manufactured, instead of the Shenzhen factory, the blast could lead to lost production of 1.8 million to 2.8 million iPads, he said.
Abramsky had predicted 8 million iPad shipments during the period.
By contrast, Shaw Wu, an analyst with Sterne Agee in San Francisco, said in a report on Monday that the concerns were “overdone” and that production at other facilities was being ramped up to make up for the shortfalls.
He expects Apple to sell 6.8 million iPads in the quarter ending June.
In Taipei trading, Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海), which sells its products under the Foxconn brand, saw its share price rise 3 percent to NT$103 yesterday, following a 2.91 percent decline on Monday. The stock got a boost after the firm said it has a week of inventory, allowing it to continue operations as it completes safety checks following the Chengdu explosion.
“Knowing that production won’t be affected gave the market confidence today,” said Calvin Huang (黃文堯), an analyst at Daiwa Securities Group in Taipei, who rates Hon Hai “buy.”
“Previously, the company hadn’t said anything about the situation” regarding production and inventory, he said.
TLG Asset Management (台壽保投信) analyst Arch Shih (施博元) said Hon Hai’s dive on Monday was simply a knee jerk reaction to the explosion on fears that the company’s iPad 2 production for Apple would be seriously affected.
“But, after Apple remained resilient on Wall Street overnight, many investors seem relieved and started to think the impact from the explosion could be limited,” Shih said.
Goldman Sachs said it did not expect any material impact from the explosion as the plant in Chengdu was not the major production line for iPad 2.
Hon Hai is expected to continue to increase its supply to Apple, with possible adjustment of the production schedule, Goldman Sachs said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his