South Korea, the world’s fifth--largest oil importer and now a major global supplier of nuclear plants, will not abandon its nuclear plans despite the nuclear crisis in Japan, a government minister said yesterday.
Nuclear already accounts for 31.4 percent of resource-poor South Korea’s electricity generation needs and government plans call for it to rise to 48.5 percent by 2024.
It has seven reactors under construction, with plans to build six more and bring to 34 the number on stream by 2024.
“Our answer to the nuclear industry is that we need to keep going,” South Korean Minister of Knowledge Economy Choi Joong-kyung said in a speech to a business event yesterday.
“Part of our manufacturing industry’s competitiveness comes from nuclear power thanks to its cheap energy costs. Therefore, it is hard to give up,” Choi said.
There have been small anti-nuclear protests since an earthquake and tsunami wrecked the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plants in Japan this month.
Another rally was planned for yesterday, but the backlash has been much smaller than in countries like Germany.
Of South Korea’s total primary energy consumption in 2009, nuclear power accounted for 13.1 percent, while oil made up 42.1 percent, coal 28.2 percent, Liquefied natural gas 13.9 percent, renewable energy 2.2 percent and hydropower the rest. South Korea aims to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent by 2020.
Choi said South Korea would continue to export nuclear power plants of the kind signed with the United Arab Emirates in December 2009. South Korea has no exposure to China, which temporarily suspended approval of nuclear power projects pending a review.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his