Japan’s latest bullet train, the thin-nosed Hayabusa or Falcon, made its 300kph debut yesterday, boasting a luxury carriage modeled on airline business class.
Japan has built up a network of cutting-edge Shinkansen train lines since the 1960s that criss-cross the island nation and now hopes to sell the infrastructure technology abroad, including to the US.
The latest ultra-fast tech marvel will make two trips a day from Tokyo to Aomori, a scenic rural backwater on the northern tip of the main Honshu island that has until now been off Japan’s bullet train map. It will also make one more trip a day to Sendai, located between Tokyo and Aomori.
Photo: AFP
Mutsutake Otsuka, chairman of East Japan Railway Co (JR East), stressed the engineering sophistication of the new ride.
“To the best of our ability, we will strive to improve Hayabusa’s passenger comfort, safety and -environmental friendliness, not just its speed,” he told hundreds of people who came to Tokyo station to see the futuristic train.
The mood at the launch was dampened slightly by a seven minute delay to the first service after a passenger fell from the platform at Tokyo station, where more than 1,000 train hobbyists rushed to take pictures.
The train was not moving at the time and the man climbed back up to the platform unaided.
The green-and-silver E5 series Hayabusa travels at up to 300kph to make the 675km trip to Aomori in three hours and 10 minutes. From next year, it will push its top speed to 320kph to become Japan’s fastest train.
Passengers will glide quietly along the straight stretches and tunnels that cut through Japan’s mountainous countryside, said JR East, which has heavily promoted the launch of the new service.
Those willing to pay ¥26,360 (US$320) for a one-way trip can enjoy the comfort of a “GranClass” car, where a cabin attendant will serve them drinks and food in their deeply reclining leather seats on thick woollen carpets.
To promote the service, the train company has also heavily advertised Aomori as a tourist destination, praising its landscape, seafood and winter snow.
Japan’s ultra-fast, frequent and punctual bullet trains have made them the preferred choice for many travelers, rather than flying or road travel, ever since the first Shinkansen was launched in time for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.
However, as Japan, and its railway companies, struggle with a fast-graying and shrinking population and falling domestic demand, the government and industry are aggressively seeking to promote the bullet trains abroad.
Japan has in the past sold Shinkansen technology to Taiwan and hopes to capture other overseas markets, such as Brazil and Vietnam, but faces stiff competition from train manufacturers in China, France and Germany.
The biggest prize is a future high-speed US rail network that US President Barack Obama has promoted, to be backed by US$13 billion in public funding.
California’s then-governor Arnold Schwarzenegger was treated to an early test ride on the Hayabusa when he visited Japan in September.
Japan has also been developing a magnetic levitation or maglev train that, its operator says, reached a world record speed of 581kph in 2003 on a test track near Mount Fuji in Tsuru, west of Tokyo.
The plan is to launch maglev services between Tokyo and the central city of Nagoya by 2027. By 2045 they are expected to link Tokyo with the main western city of Osaka in just 67 minutes, compared with the current two hours 25 minutes.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his