Taiwan-based IC designer -MediaTek Inc (聯發科) said yesterday it would appeal against the sentence a former employee received for leaking trade secrets to a competitor.
In a verdict issued on Monday, the Taipei District Court sentenced a former MediaTek employee surnamed Yang to nine months in prison for leaking information to a MediaTek competitor. The sentence can be commuted to a fine of NT$270,000.
MediaTek said it would file an appeal because the ruling was too lenient and would encourage further violations of laws protecting trade secrets in the future, -potentially -setting off a cycle of vicious -competition within the sector.
In the case MediaTek had brought against Yang, the former employee was accused of illegally leaking the company’s trade secrets to rival MStar Semiconductor Inc (晨星半導體) in 2007, when he left MediaTek to work for MStar.
According to MediaTek, Yang, who was on MediaTek’s payroll between November 2005 and April 2007 before starting work at MStar in May 2007, collected confidential business information from MediaTek just before he left the company.
After Yang was employed by MStar, he used the secrets contained in his notebook computer on the job and also presented it in a briefing for MStar executives, MediaTek alleged.
Upset by the ruling, the company said confidential business information is an IC designer’s most important intangible asset, and if the law could not adequately protect companies’ trade secrets and other intellectual property, the sector’s survival would be threatened.
It also argued that the impact of the court decision would be felt not only by high-tech businesses, but also by the domestic economy across the board.
In a recent report released by IC Insights, MStar was expected to rank as the 13th-largest fabless IC provider in the world last year in terms of sales, while MediaTek was likely to rank fourth.
Meanwhile, Citigroup said in a client note on Tuesday that it had lowered its earnings forecasts for MediaTek this year and next year by 15 percent and 24 percent respectively, to reflect slower whitebox market growth and fiercer price competition.
“The market is now excited about MediaTek launching an Android phone chipset with a reference price of about US$100. Without a subsidy, US$100 is too expensive for the vast majority of whitebox handset customers, who normally pay below US$40 for whitebox handsets,” Kevin Chang (張凱偉) wrote in the note.
With severe price pressure from China’s Spreadtrum Communications Inc (展訊), Citigroup expects MediaTek’s baseband average selling price to decline another 25 percent this year from last year, the note said.
The brokerage also cut its target price for MediaTek to NT$243, from the NT$284 it set previously. Shares of MediaTek edged up 0.48 percent to NT$420 yesterday in Taipei trading.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY KEVIN CHEN
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort