China, which supplies more than 90 percent of the world’s rare earth minerals, is close to establishing an association that will, under government oversight, work to “guide” the domestic industry.
The China Association for Rare Earth will be organized under the authority of the Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology and include the 93 largest domestic producers, Wang Caifeng (王彩鳳), a member of the committee overseeing the group’s formation, told reporters at a press conference in Beijing yesterday.
The establishment of the association will need approval from the State Council, China’s Cabinet, and this may occur by May 1, she said.
“The association will assist the government and companies in mining, production and international cooperation,” Wang said. “Our role will be similar to that of the China Iron and Steel Association and the China Nonferrous Metals Industry Association in guiding the rare earth industry.”
Chinese industrial associations are state controlled and have been used as agents through which companies have negotiated with foreign suppliers and buyers, such as when the China Iron and Steel Association represented steelmakers in talks with iron ore suppliers on setting a prices.
The US said last week it may file a WTO complaint against China over restraints on supplies of rare earths.
Rare earths are 17 chemically similar elements, including neodymium, cerium and lanthanum, that are used in the production of electronics. The price of neodymium oxide, used in magnets in BlackBerrys, has increased more than fourfold from US$19.12 per kilogram last year to US$88.5 per kilogram because of rising demand and reduced supply from China, according to Sydney-based Lynas Corp, which is building a A$550 million (US$542 million) rare earths mine in Western Australia.
Output and export of rare earths from China have been reduced because some of the companies mining the minerals were causing “severe” environmental damage and had to be closed, Wang said yesterday.
“The industry is undergoing a restructuring period,” Wang said. “Lots of companies do not meet environmental protection standards and need to be closed. Excessive mining in southern provinces is still severe and it severely damages the environment. That is why China is controlling mining and naturally output and exports will be reduced,” she said.
Separately, China cut its rare earth export quotas by 11 percent in the first round of permits for next year from the same period this year, according to Bloomberg News calculations based on a statement issued by the Ministry of Commerce.
The government allotted 14,446 tonnes of rare earth exports split among 31 companies, according the statement. That compares with the first round last year of 16,304 tonnes, according to previous ministry statements. The government usually issues two rounds of export quotas each year.
China will also raise export taxes for some rare earth elements to 25 percent next year, the Ministry of Finance said this month. The move is an increase from the 15 percent temporary export tax on neodymium, used in batteries for hybrid cars, including Toyota Motor Corp’s Prius.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his