Hanjin Shipping Co, South Korea’s largest shipping line, and China Shipping (Group) Co (中國海運集團) said they were close to ordering new vessels as world trade rebounds from the global recession.
Hanjin may announce a deal for mid-sized container ships by as early as year-end, chief executive Kim Young-min told a conference in Guangzhou, China, yesterday.
China Shipping will place an order soon, president Li Shaode (李紹德) said at the same event, but declined to say which type of ships the group was looking at.
Evergreen Group (長榮集團) is also close to ordering about 10 ships, as part of its plans to buy 100, as global trade recovers from a downturn last year that caused industrywide losses.
Global container-shipping volume could jump as much as 8 percent next year, as economic growth in the US and Europe spurs demand for Asian-made goods, Kim said.
“The worst is over for Asian shipping lines, so it’s a good time to order vessels,” said Minoru Matsuno, president of Value Search Asset Management Co, a Tokyo-based investment advisory firm.
“At the same time, the industry needs to ensure it doesn’t repeat the overcapacity mistakes that helped hammer rates last year,” he said.
Evergreen Group, Asia’s largest container line, plans to order ships able to hold about 8,000 containers, vice chairman Bronson Hsieh (謝志堅) said.
The Taiwan-based firm has ordered 20 similar vessels, worth about US$2 billion, from Samsung Heavy Industries Co since June. Second-ranked Neptune Orient Lines Ltd has ordered 12 ships from Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co during the same period.
The global economy is recovering and the shipping market is “roaring,” Wei Jiafu (魏家福), chairman of China Cosco Holdings Co (中國遠洋控股), Asia’s biggest shipping line by market value, said at the Guangzhou conference.
However, the industry needs to adopt a “more rational mentality” to prevent a glut of new vessels from dampening rates, he said.
China Cosco has no plans to order vessels this year, and it will assess market conditions before deciding on fleet plans next year, he said.
Sinotrans & CSC Holdings Co (中外運航運) plans to adjust orders in segments where there is overcapacity, president Zhao Hu-xiang (趙滬湘) said, but declined to elaborate.
The company is China’s third-largest state-controlled shipping group behind China Cosco parent, China Ocean Shipping (Group) Co, and China Shipping.
Shipping lines have eased overcapacity by scrapping vessels and operating ships more slowly. This reduces capacity as the same number of vessel make fewer trips and also cuts back on fuel usage.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his