TAIEX follows Wall Street fall
The TAIEX closed down 1.61 percent yesterday as investors reacted to a Wall Street fall overnight amid renewed concerns over weakening global economic fundamentals, dealers said.
The TAIEX fell 124.92 points to 7,616.28, after moving between 7,577.10 and 7,687.47, on turnover of NT$115.80 billion (US$3.62 billion).
The market opened down 0.93 percent after Wall Street’s 1.39 percent decline pushed the Dow Jones Industrial Average to the brink of tumbling below the key 10,000 barrier, dealers said.
Selling accelerated across the board with Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密), the world’s largest contract electronics manufacturer, dragging down the index on weaker-than-expected results for the first half of the year..
A total of 3,087 stocks closed down and 692 finished higher, with 151 remaining unchanged. Foreign and Chinese institutional investors were net sellers of NT$5.3 billion in shares on the day.
Taiwan and Ireland talk
Taiwan and Ireland opened a two-day conference in Dublin on Monday to discuss cooperation on sustainable energy technology, Taiwan’s representative to Ireland said the same day.
The joint conference, sponsored by the National Science Council (NSC) of Taiwan and the Science Foundation Ireland (SFI), has five major topics on its agenda — applications of information and communication technology, ocean energy, renewable energy, solar energy and smart grids.
The conference has been planned for about two years and has finally been organized thanks to the aid of the NSC and the SFI, Taiwanese Representative to Ireland Lee Nan-yang (李南陽) said at the opening ceremony.
“Taiwan and Ireland are both devoted to the development of green power,” Lee said. “I hope the joint conference will increase opportunities for cooperation on green power technology between the two countries,” he added.
Over 70 representatives attended the conference, including officials of state-owned companies and scholars from both countries.
China firm seeks TAIEX listing
Chunghong Holdings Ltd (昶虹), a Chinese printed circuit board (PCB) firm, is seeking to raise funds in Taiwan through a primary listing on the local main board, underwriter Capital Securities Corp (群益證券) said on Monday.
Capital Securities said Chunghong, which is registered in the Cayman Islands, is planning to issue 7.61 million new shares to raise about NT$216.8 million (US$6.77 million) and has filed an application with the Taiwan Stock Exchange for the listing.
According to its prospectus, Chunghong expects the listing to be completed in the first quarter of next year.
Aside from making PCBs, Chunghong also provides surface mount technology to make electronic circuits in which the components are mounted on the surface of the PCBs.
Chunghong, which was founded by Taiwanese businessmen operating overseas, was listed on the Singapore Exchange in 2007 but delisted voluntarily last year.
FET appoints new president
Far EasTone Telecommunications Co (FET, 遠傳電信) promoted Chief Commercial Officer Yvonne Li (李彬) to the post of president, replacing Jan Nilsson who stays in his role as vice chairman, effective from Sept. 10, the Taipei-based operator said in an exchange filing yesterday.
NT falls against US dollar
The New Taiwan dollar fell against the US dollar yesterday, declining NT$0.042 to close at NT$32.102.
Turnover totaled US$1.082 billion during the trading session.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his