A venture led by state-run CPC Corp, Taiwan (CPC, 台灣中油) will switch to cleaner-burning natural gas from fuel oil to run a planned US$19 billion refining and chemicals project in a final bid to win government approval after a four-year wait.
Stakeholders in Kuokuang Petrochemical Technology Co (國光石化), including the Far Eastern Group (遠東集團) and Fubon Financial Holding Co (富邦金控), have agreed to shut the company should the plant fail to get environmental approval by Nov. 17, Chen Bao-lang (陳寶郎), chairman of the 43 percent CPC-owned venture, said in Taipei.
Switching to imported gas from fuel oil produced at the refinery may increase costs by NT$7.5 billion (US$236 million) a year, he said.
“Kuokuang is paying a higher cost to protect the environment,” Chen, 67, a former CPC president, said in an interview at his Taipei office. “The company doesn’t want to be a heavy burden on society.”
A government-appointed panel comprising academics and bureaucrats has raised concerns ranging from carbon dioxide emissions to protection of endangered dolphins and conservation of wetlands. Kuokuang has pledged to use gas for 60 percent of its needs to help halve emissions, and will buy the fuel from CPC, Chen said.
CPC, Taiwan’s largest refiner, is counting on the project’s 300,000 barrel-a-day refinery and an ethylene plant to compete with rival Formosa Petrochemical Corp (台塑石化). The Kuokuang venture will help CPC make up for lost capacity when one of its refineries in southern Taiwan is decommissioned.
“Without the Kuokuang project, CPC and its customers will be half dead,” Shieh Jun-hsiung (謝俊雄), executive manager at Petrochemical Industry Association of Taiwan, said by telephone. “Formosa Plastics [Group] would be the only dominant player in Taiwan’s petrochemical industry.”
CPC has three refineries — Kaohsiung, Talin and Taoyuan — with a total daily capacity of 720,000 barrels of crude. It has three naphtha crackers with a combined annual capacity of 1.1 million tonnes of ethylene, which is used to make make plastics and chemical fibers.
The Kuokuang project will make up for capacity from the Kaohsiung facility, including a 220,000 barrel-a-day refinery and a 500,000 tonne-a-year ethylene plant, which CPC has pledged to shut by 2015 amid complaints from residents about pollution.
The venture was set up in January 2006 to build a refinery, a 1.2 million-tonnes-a-year ethylene plant and factories to produce 20 chemical products, Chen said.
Kuokuang relocated the project in 2008 to Changhua County from Yunlin County to address concerns about water usage.
The construction cost of the project may climb to NT$600 billion (US$18.8 billion) from the prior estimate of NT$400.5 billion because of increased raw-material prices, he said.
Meanwhile, Formosa Petrochemical said it had restarted a crude processing plant on Tuesday, bringing the total number of crude units back in operation to two.
Formosa Petrochemical expects to reach two-thirds of its crude processing capacity by today, spokesman Lin Keh-yen (林克彥) said by telephone.
Separately, the company is cutting its ethylene supply to customers by 25 percent this month after shutting a plant last month, Lin said.
The company had shut its 540,000 barrel-a-day Mailiao (麥寮) refinery for safety reasons after an oil leak triggered a blaze at its No. 2 residual desulfurization unit on July 25.
Formosa Petrochemical halted its No. 1 ethylene plant, which has an annual capacity of 700,000 tonnes, on July 7 after a fire.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his