Japan’s Shinsei Bank and Aozora Bank yesterday confirmed that a merger planned for later this year has been scrapped, with the mid-sized lenders at odds over business strategy.
The announcement sent shares in both companies plummeting and prompted a rebuke from the country’s banking minister toward Shinsei.
“Aozora Bank today announced the cancellation of the merger with Shinsei Bank by mutual agreement,” a statement said without disclosing details.
The collapse of the deal leaves the two lenders — both backed by US private-equity firms — facing the tough prospect of rebuilding in a saturated market. Shinsei, which means “rebirth” in Japanese, and Aozora, which means “blue skies,” suffered in the global financial crisis and last year announced a planned merger that would create the nation’s sixth-biggest commercial bank.
However, negotiations ground to a halt, with Shinsei seeking to expand its retail operations and Aozora more keen on working with regional banks. Reports also said the two sides were unable to agree on a name for the new bank.
“We decided to shelve the merger talks. As talks progressed opinions diverged,” Aozora spokesman Tsutomu Jimbo said.
He added that the banks were still working on details over a possible new business alliance without giving details.
“Instead of spending time on bringing together merger conditions and management strategies, we decided that expanding each of our strengths separately was the top priority,” he added.
Shinsei, which is about one-third owned by US buyout firm JC Flowers & Co, was hit hard by the global credit crunch last year.
Aozora, which is roughly half owned by US investment fund Cerberus, fell deep into the red over its exposure to failed Wall Street giant Lehman Brothers and other bad investments.
Both organizations were bailed out with public money during Japan’s banking crisis of the 1990s and later sold to private investors. Both remain part-owned by the Japanese government.
Japanese banking minister Shizuka Kamei yesterday said that the government should continue supervising Shinsei, “considering that it has received taxpayer money. We should continue issuing strict instructions.”
Shares of Shinsei, which was downgraded this week by ratings agency Fitch, slumped as much as 4 percent in Tokyo afternoon trade following the news.
The bank saw a loss of ¥140.15 billion (US$1.51 billion) in the financial year ended March. Revenue was down 5.9 percent to ¥566.34 billion. For the current fiscal year ending March next year, it forecast a net profit of ¥12.5 billion. Incoming director Shigeki Toma told reporters that a tie-up with another lender was an option, hours after the bank announced it had terminated merger talks with Aozora.
Meanwhile, Aozora said yesterday it bounced back to the black in the last fiscal year due to growth in core earnings and cost-cutting efforts.
Net profit amounted to ¥8.3 billion from a ¥243 billion loss in the previous fiscal year. Revenue fell to ¥146.1 billion from ¥182.6 billion a year ago.
For the current financial year it forecast net income of ¥14 billion on revenue of ¥125.0 billion. Shares of Aozora were 4.16 percent lower in Tokyo trading.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his