The euro slipped and Asian stocks tumbled in thin trading yesterday due to doubts about an enormous European bailout hammered out at the weekend to avert a crippling debt default by Greece.
Australian stocks also suffered after the government announced plans for an extraordinary tax on massive profits at mining companies, while fresh measures to curb red-hot property lending in China weighed on Hong Kong.
RESCUE
The EU and the IMF on Sunday endorsed the 110 billion euro (US$145.6 billion) rescue package, which is conditional on a swathe of painful cuts and tax rises by Greece.
However, the bailout must now pass through eurozone member parliaments, including that of Germany, where public resistance to the rescue package runs deep and where a major state election is due on Sunday.
“We still need the German parliament to approve [the bailout] and the other issue is the German election,” said Philip Wee, a senior currency economist with DBS Group Research in Singapore.
The euro rallied last week in anticipation of the bailout, but it is “still too early” to tell if the EU’s commitment will shore up the currency, Wee said.
The euro bought US$1.3239 at 0550 GMT in Asia, down from US$1.3294 late in New York on Friday, paring back early gains that saw it climb as high as US$1.3332.
“Although Greece has had a lifeline from the IMF ... the market is not assured that the worst has passed,” said Thio Chin Loo, a senior currency analyst with BNP Paribas in Singapore.
Athens was desperate to get the bailout agreed before it faces a critical debt repayment on May 19.
However, Greek unions vowed to battle the painful measures, which include deep cuts to wages and pensions, potentially doing further damage to the struggling economy.
PROPERTY BUBBLE
Hong Kong shares closed down 1.41 percent, or 297.23 points, at 20,811.36 a day after China ordered banks to increase the amount of money they must keep in reserve, as it tries to restrain new lending to avoid a damaging property bubble.
The People’s Bank of China hiked the reserve ratio for commercial banks by 50 basis points effective May 10 — its third increase since the beginning of the year.
The move raises the standard reserve ratio for major banks to 17 percent of deposits, though the rate can vary for each bank.
Mainland property companies and banks in Hong Kong were hit.
At the close of Hong Kong trade, China Construction Bank (中國建設銀行) and Industrial Commercial Bank of China (中國工商銀行) both dropped 1.6 percent, while among developers China Resources Land (華潤置地) dived 5.1 percent and China Overseas (中國海外集團) fell 3.8 percent.
Shanghai was closed yesterday for a public holiday, as was Tokyo.
Sydney ended 0.46 percent, or 21.9 points, lower at 4,785.5, as mining stocks were hit by news of Canberra’s 40 percent tax on extraordinary profits in the sector, which has boomed thanks to Asian demand led by China’s hectic growth.
BHP Billiton fell 2.99 percent to A$39.53 (US$36.60) and Rio Tinto fell 4.3 percent to A$69. Singapore slid 0.97 percent, in line with a weaker Wall Street.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his