Australia’s Qantas Airways yesterday said it was axing first class from all but a handful of routes in a post-financial crisis overhaul, as half-year profit slumped 72 percent to US$52 million.
Chief executive Alan Joyce said passengers would only be able to fly first class between Australia and London, via Singapore, and between Australia and Los Angeles after demand dropped dramatically in the wake of the downturn.
“Our first class product will remain on key routes,” he told reporters. “It’s a re-balance — there are more business class seats and less first class seats.”
The flag-carrier will reconfigure 29 aircraft and upgrade some planes’ in-flight entertainment at a cost of A$400 million (US$360 million), leaving first class on just 12 Airbus A380s.
“The reconfiguration is driven by the longer-term trend of what we believe is happening in demand,” Joyce said.
“The long-term trend in first class has been for a decline. Our seat factor [load] in first class has been below 40 percent, so we have plenty of room to cope with all expected future demand,” he added.
The first-half announcement, and failure to pay an interim dividend, sent shares into a tailspin with Qantas closing down 8.08 percent at A$2.73.
However, Joyce was upbeat despite the steep on-year slump, pointing out that other airlines were booking losses as the world makes a tentative recovery from the downturn.
He added that all sectors of Qantas’ operations, including budget offshoot Jetstar, were in the black, while underlying profit for the full financial year to June was expected to be between A$300 million and A$400 million.
“According to IATA [International Air Transport Association], the world’s airlines will record net losses of US$5.6 billion in 2010,” Joyce said. “While the operating environment has been unprecedented and challenging, this result reflects the strength and diversity of our operations.”
Joyce stressed the company’s strong cash position of A$3.5 billion and said Jetstar, one of Asia’s top low-cost airlines, had enjoyed a record six months.
Qantas partly blamed weaker demand for the fall in profit, which came despite sharply lower fuel costs and an efficiency drive that pared operating expenses by 11 percent.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his